Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Week In Review

So obviously, good things happened this week--namely, I finally saw that elusive goal weight on the scale, after three-and-a-half years of hard work, determination, and yes, even self-doubt from time to time. There were other stories from this week, too, that I want to share--some related to my achievement, others not.


The BEST Moment of the Week

Obviously, seeing 130 on the scale was pretty awesome, but it wasn't the best part of hitting goal weight. Bells didn't ring and angels didn't come out of the skies singing the Hallelujah Chorus. The gym just kept piping out its rock music and everyone around me did their thing while I stared at the scale in disbelief, my heart pounding.

But that wasn't the very best moment--that was just the moment of truth. The best moment was when I got to show the picture on my iPhone to Matt, knowing that after all these months, and all of the support he's given me, he'd be so very happy for me. Sharing that moment with someone who has seen me through the last forty pounds, and breaking through the wall with my running, was awesome. I can't remember exactly what he said initially (knowing Matt it was either, "Excellent!" or "YES!!" accompanied by a big smile), but I do remember him standing up from his chair, opening his arms and saying, "Come here, I need to give you a hug."

It was a huge moment in my journey, and I'm glad I have such an awesome friend to share it with.

The NOT BEST Moment of the Week

Completely unrelated to fitness and goal weight, the worst moment this week came on Thursday afternoon as I drove down Highway 65 just before rush hour. Going about 70 mph with cars stacked up behind me, I had no choice but to run over the pigeon that foolishly landed in my lane.  

Stupid, stupid bird.

I admit to crying over that stupid pigeon. I don't set out to kill wildlife.

Triumph, Tears and Rosie Pro -- A Moment I Won't Forget

As I celebrated with Matt at the gym on Wednesday, a couple of times I felt like I might cry--I was just so happy. My heart was pounding for a few minutes while my achievement sunk in.

A little while later, in the car, I was scrolling through songs on a mix CD when I got to "The Fighter" by Gym Class Heroes. I've been listening to this while running a lot lately, and it resonates with me.

Give me scars, give me pain
That's when they'll say to me, say to me, say to me
There goes the fighter...

As the song started, suddenly, three-and-a-half years of work, of learning to believe, and all of that emotion and pride came rushing to the surface and I burst into a wild mix of sobbing tears and delighted laughter. If anyone else on the freeway noticed the crazy woman driving a Mazda Protege while hysterically laughing and crying, I'm sure they wondered what was going on.

Nothing, nothing...just a thirty-four-year-old woman finally realizing how strong she is.

The Very Satisfying G. the Meanie Moment

While Matt has been the trainer who fine-tuned me these last several months, and I've been thanking him all over the place this week, there's also good ole G. the Meanie to consider in this. Gershom dragged my bratty self into being an athlete in the first place (I was not always very nice to him) and I have a lot to thank him for. So I sent him a message via Facebook:

Gershom and I don't communicate regularly, even though we are Facebook friends, but I knew he'd be proud of me, and it was very satisfying to send this and get a response.

The "I Love My Job" Moment

Yesterday I told two kinder teachers about a couple of behavior problems I'd had in their classes' music session, letting them know that two children, in particular, had misbehaved to the point where I had to remove them from the fun for a few minutes. I also told them that the rest of the class was a dream, and I felt so bad to stop the music lesson just because two children weren't making the right choices.

Even as I deal with a little bit of silly behavior (they're five, they are wiggly, and they are still practically babies), I look around that room at these children and realize I'm having a blast being back in the classroom.

My third graders composed four-bar melodies yesterday, using solfege to select pitches, and quarter notes and eighth notes for rhythm. I gave them some pretty good guidelines so they could be successful at this activity, and every single pair did a smashing job. There was very little confusion. Questions were cleared up quickly. The pairs worked cooperatively with no bickering. This would never happen in a public school setting.

And my choir? They continue to be awesome.

That Badass Moment 

Today at run club, everyone was cooling down. I ran less than most everyone else, so I stopped jogging and did some stretching. I put my heel up on the edge of a tall ledge on the bleachers, so my foot was about level with my shoulders, stretching my whole leg. It's not an easy move for me, but it's one I couldn't do three years ago, for sure.

Our "coach" jogged by me and called out, "I'm pulling a hamstring just watching you!"

I may not be the fastest runner in our little Saturday morning group (actually, I am the slowest) but damnit, I'm strong, and I'm flexible!

The Hottie Moment

So I met a guy on OkCupid who isn't a rampaging lunatic or wanting to plan our camping excursion to Yellowstone on the first date. Wahoo! We met in person a week ago and he's quite nice. We've been texting back and forth, and we have had a frank discussion about what we want--friendship, dating, but no drama and really not a serious relationship. We both want to get out and have fun (and for us, this will include working out together).

It's perfect, because I'm not really in the position to give him more right now (long story) and I just want to get out more and maybe have an excuse to dress up a bit from time to time.

Anyway, I was texting back and forth with him on Thursday evening and I mentioned that I was at the mall  and had fallen in love with a dress. "Send a pic!" was his response, so I sent him this one and was promptly told how great I looked. And that he had other adjectives best left for "in person." I asked him to throw one at me.

"Banging," he replied.

Ladies and gentlemen, I have a banging body.

The Knee-High Boots Moment

For years now--years--I've wanted a pair of knee-high boots.  I can remember shopping for them in England in 2004, and being unable to find a pair I could fit over my calves. For the longest time, I just didn't seem to be able to find them. Last year, I found that they'd fit over my runner's calves, but I didn't have the money to indulge.

This week, I found a darling pair, with just the right heel, at Sears on sale. They fit with room enough for a pair of skinny jeans.

I finally have my knee-high boots, and this makes me happy.

The Moment I Realized...

That I really am blessed right now. I have some wonderful friends, supportive family (my parents are fully behind my latest plan, which is to get certified as a personal trainer) and lots of great opportunities. I'm just trying to be grateful and to appreciate what I have.

1 comment:

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

You are blessed and congratulations on seeing that awesome weight on the scale! You are so smart to look at your whole life - every part of it - and not just focus on one aspect.