Saturday, September 01, 2012

Hip Hugs

Yesterday was my second teaching day at Petite School. I admit I was tired, and not quite as enthusiastic to be there, as I've been recovering from a slight cold this week. But the day went very well, and my small charges continue to be fabulous.

Imagine playing your clarinet for a room full of fourth grade students when a young girl's hand goes up. I thought I was ready for any question a child can throw at me, but I was not, for a million years, expecting what came out of her mouth:

"Can you play any Dvorak?"

A fourth grader knowing Dvorak! Of course these kids have heard of Beethoven and Mozart...but Antonin Dvorak? Completely charmed and surprised, I told her I've played some of his music in the past, but I can't recall it from memory.

At break, I was chatting with my boss, and relayed this story and my amazement. She just smiled and said with a laugh, "Welcome to Petite!"

I had to get a bit mean with my 2nd graders. They are wonderful--bright and eager to please--but they are so chatty! There is so much to say in 2nd grade, so I had to finally stop and give them a little talking-to about being disappointed that I couldn't teach without being interrupted constantly. The glum faces and guilty silence almost made me cry out, "I'm so sorry to lecture you!!" but I know that being strict, and making my expectations clear from the very beginning, is exactly what will make these kids learn in my class.

My day flew by in a whirlwind of being on my feet, singing, being on my knees on the floor with rhythm cards, clapping, rhythm-making, and general musical melee. I loved every minute of it...and I was exhausted at the end of the day!

As I left at the end of the day, wearily pulling my rolling cart full of goodies out to my car, I passed the After School Care kids, playing on the tiny playground. Between the school office and my car, I was stopped for no less than five hip hugs from tiny music-lovers.

It's good to be back.

No comments: