Monday, August 13, 2012

You Are What You Hear

My Twitter and blogging buddy, Jules, posted this on her own blog tonight--it's the Six Songs of Me projects. Well, we all know I'm all about the music. Here are the categories:

  • What was the first song you ever bought?
  • What song always gets you dancing?
  • What song takes you back to your childhood?
  • What is your perfect love song?
  • What song would you want at your funeral?
  • Time for an encore. One last song that makes you, you.
So without further ado...

The first song I ever bought:

Oy vey, that's asking me to go back further than I possibly can. I know I listened to a TON of Madonna (Like a Virgin album in particular), Cyndi Lauper, Irene Cara (Flashdance, baby!), and Air Supply as a child. But those were tapes my parents got me or that I nicked from their collection. As for what I personally bought, I can remember the first CD I purchased, U2's The Joshua Tree. My favorite song off that album is "In God's Country," so let's go with that for this category.


What song always gets you dancing?

This is a tough one! The first song that springs to mind is "I'm In the Mood For Dancing" by The Nolans. It was more popular in the UK than here, I believe (I was three in 1981, so you know, how would I remember?) I know I never heard it stateside but heard it every single time I went clubbing in England in 2004-2005. It's pure disco: light, fluffy, good beat, makes you want to move a little. So much better than that THUMP THUMP THUMP stuff that is modern dance music. *sigh*


What song takes you back to your childhood?

I don't know how many times I stood on my stage bed, with my toy microphone, passionately lip-singing Madonna's "Crazy For You." I even did it for my third grade class talent show. I still love this song at the grown-up age of 34. I'm notoriously hard on other female singers--I mean, really, Madonna is a crap singer but I forgive her because of this song.



What is your perfect love song?

Okay, this one may be a little strange, but damn, this song is sexy as hell to me.



What song would you want for your funeral?

Hmmm...something happy. I don't want weeping strings. Play something joyful to remember that I tried to be positive, happy, and joyful. How about some "California Girls?"



One last song that makes you, you.

Pick just one? Seriously?! 

I guess I just have to pick the song that has the most plays on iTunes, a song I fell for in 2004, but waited another five years to fall for the band. The song that makes me smile when I'm sad, gives me hope when I'm feeling challenged. The song that pushed me to a PR in a 5K race in February...duh, if you've followed me very long, you know which song (and which band) I speak of!


And just because this song is even better live (listen to everyone singing along! I was at this gig, but this video is not mine. I assure, you, I was singing like a fool):




So, what are your six songs? If you do this, leave the link to your blog post in my comments so others can see!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVED your list. We are definitely kindred spirits. California Girls is a song that really takes me back. Endless Summer was a well played record in my house.

Joshua Tree is one of the best albums of all time. Truly a masterpiece.

Never heard of the other songs but I enjoyed listening to them! The disco song is great!

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

I'm so bad at thinking of songs I like as I'm more of a classical music person because of the way I grew up. My kids are always playing songs for me though so I have some exposure. Does that count?!!

Anonymous said...

That "your" song was by Keane didn't surprise me in the least. ;)

My list is finally up on my blog -- this was so much fun!!! I asked the Green Magpie to play along too, but all he can come up with is classical music, for the same reason as Diane. :)