Thursday, August 23, 2012

Mini Tri

It's been a busy week--if the lack of blogging hasn't given that away--and because of a staff inservice day on Tuesday, I didn't get a workout in. These days I'm pretty much addicted to working out (according to M. the Reasonable, and he's one to talk because hello, look what he does for a living!), so I decided to make up for it on Wednesday by doing a mini triathlon in addition to my strength training.

This is what I do for kicks. When this blog was started, "running" was a dirty word. Things change, eh?

Anyway, I started off with a one-mile run. It was slow-ish, but considering my plans for the rest of the morning, I figured slow is good.

A little while later, I found myself at the gym doing my strength training, which is hardly a walk in the park. I work, and I sweat. But after that, I gamely climbed on the stationary bike* and accomplished 4 miles in thirty minutes. Not bad...and not finished.

Finally, I found myself in the pool, with a giant purple condom swim cap and goggles on my head, pushing out 200 meters of freestyle swimming. My mini (and backwards) triathlon complete, I did some easy stretching, inhaled a protein shake, and headed home.

And then my back started to hurt in the car.

By the time I got home, it was in considerable pain, and the blue streak coming from my mouth would have elicited a shocked, "Megan!!" from my mom, had she been around to hear it. I walked around a little and popped some ibuprofen for pain relief. The good news is, by the time I'd finished my shower, the pain was almost gone, and it hasn't come back.

Still, today, I took it easy and just did some time on the cycle.

The mini-tri served to show me that I can get through all three sports...and that I have a ways to go in my training.

*In case you care, I've raised about half of what I need to buy a bike, helmet, tire repair kit, and a pair of those crazy-looking bike shorts that have fleece in the bottom to cushion during long rides--believe me, they're necessary. The hope is that I will have my bike by the end of September.

1 comment:

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

Awesome on creating your own mini-tri and proving to yourself that you can do it! Glad that your back pain subsided.