Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Meg and the Booty Shorts of Doom

Last week, I went to Sports Authority to buy a swim cap.

I've finally succumbed and become one of those people who walks into a sporting goods store and wants to BUY ALL THE THINGS!!! I drooled over shoes, coveted the bikes, and browsed through the women's workout gear, looking at the clearance racks to see if there were any good running bras.

I didn't find a bra, but I did find a pair of shorts.

They're very short shorts.

As they were on clearance, and I was high on that rush of euphoria that comes with wanting all the gear, I decided I really had to buy these shorts. Into my shopping basket they went.

When I got home, I tried them on. And indeed, they are very short shorts.

The next day, I went running in them. Before I left, I joked with a few friends on Facebook that they are the Booty Shorts of Doom. How I very well could cause a car accident out there, with people turning to stare, or being blinded by my glow-in-the-dark legs.

It's one thing to wear the BSOD (as they're being called) in my neighborhood, and another prospect entirely to wear them to the gym. My friends told me I should go for it. I shuddered, but I did it.

I wore them last Friday, to run some intervals on the treadmill. When I was finished, I had a brief chat with my trainer before ducking into the safety of the locker room to change into my swim gear.

Today, I again donned the BSOD for a trip to the gym. I planned to do more treadmill intervals, but first, I needed to spend some time with the foam roller. I sent a message to my friend Shae via Facebook for iPhone: "I feel ridiculous."

"Why?" asked Shae.

"It takes a while for the self-esteem to catch up to the weight loss."

Truth. Despite Mom telling me I look great in the shorts, and my friends agreeing, I still feel self-conscious in them; I still feel that everyone must be staring at me and thinking, "Why, WHY is she wearing those? Delusional."

It's something I'm working on.

Quote by Shakespeare. Legs by running and training.

No comments: