Thursday, June 28, 2012

And So It Goes...

Over the last few weeks, I've bumped up the workouts. Six days a week, I kick my own butt. In a good way...and of course, it's bound to catch up. Here's what I've been doing:

Monday: Run and strength train
Tuesday: Run and swim
Wednesday: Run and strength train
Thursday: Run and swim
Friday: Run and strength train
Saturday: Run and sometimes swim
Sunday: Stare at the walls.

I've been feeling badass and full of awesomeness, until this week, when, as can be expected, the ickies descended. A bit of a sore throat and an all-over fatigue are what I woke up with yesterday, and my strength training session showed it. A simple shoulder press while sitting on a stability ball felt like trying to climb a mountain.

As I do in these situations, I asked M. the Reasonable-and-Awesome for advice/crossed fingers/sympathy. As he does in these situations, he delivered. It turns out he had similar symptoms last week...does this mean I can blame him?

Basically, all he could tell me was to perhaps lay off the super-crazy-butt-kicking activity for a day or two. So today I've done nothing, choosing to lie around on my bed watching "Anne of Green Gables" and drinking tea. Tomorrow I'll head back to the gym after a run in the morning, feeling my way along and hoping that a couple nights of serious Nyquil-induced sleep will give my body the rest it needs to feel better. After all, I've got Keane this weekend! I have to be in top form.

It was bound to happen--any time I step up the amount of activity I put in, my body has to go through a little drama before it completely accepts the new regime. I suppose adding a bike to all this fun will make things even more exciting...but I am determined to do it as soon as I can. ; )

It's hard to say when I went from Reluctant Runner to that one lady who whines at taking a day off, but here I am. Can't say that I really mind.

No comments: