Monday, May 28, 2012

Crazy Beach Fun

Yesterday, my friend Meghan and I, along with her daughter, The Roz, spent a day in Santa Cruz. We had two purposes:

  1. Beach.
  2. Ice cream.
It doesn't take much to make us happy, really.

I've been desperately needing an ocean fix for ages now. Really, I always need an ocean fix. I will, at some point in my life, realize my dream of owning a home within an easy walking distance of the Pacific ocean. Until that time, I content myself with visiting it when I can, and living where I live, it's not that hard...though sometimes, life gets busy and I don't make the effort to drive out there as often as I should.

Anyway, it was a great day--it's always good to catch up with Meghan and Roz is a great kid who comes up with things like "magical prancing unicorn time" and "do you lotion your chicken?" (The second had me crying with laughter over my enchiladas at lunch.) With Meghan, it's not considered weird for me to peg my jeans at the lunch table, to demonstrate to Roz, who didn't have the pleasure of being alive in the late 80s and early 90s, just what that means. It is considered quite normal to float a small rubber duck on the water and write in the sand with my toes. Silliness is encouraged. Sometimes it's nice to leave adult responsibilities behind for a bit and just...play.

Driving through the Gilroy/Watsonville area, we marveled at the cost of
avocados and artichokes.


Marshy area near the ocean.

Boot leg jeans were not made for pegging.

Sign pic!


We set up camp near the pier.

Happiness is toes in sand, with the cold Pacific rushing over them.




This kid was really into his castle-building.



Roz tried to bury Meghan.


Sparkly bracelet.

The obligatory duck-on-head picture.

Meghan gets revenge...

I sent the name of my crush out into the ocean...


Cali Swimmy had a terrifying paddle. He much prefers fountains.

That is about the silliest grin ever on me.

Roz got very wet, but by the time we left, she'd dried off.

 
Meghan sneaks in with the wet, slimy seaweed.

Then runs like mad from her outraged daughter.

I said it on Facebook this morning, and I'll say it here, too. Happiness like this is made possible by the people who work hard to keep our country safe and free. Let's remember the people who have given their lives in service to us--not only the soldiers, but the warriors at home, like police and firefighters--because without them, playing in the sand and later savoring a bowl of ice cream would not be possible. Happy Memorial Day.

No comments: