Saturday, March 31, 2012

Born To Run

A couple of months ago, I read Born To Run, a fantastic book (and no, not about Bruce Springsteen) which opened my mind to the idea of really becoming a runner--not an ultra-runner as the book mostly talks about, but just a better runner, one who enjoys getting out there for the pure joy of pushing my body to its limits. My limits happen to be in the three-mile range, not the 50 or 100+ range. But there are runners who push themselves to great distances, in terrain that is less than hospitable. One of these runners is Micah True, featured in Born To Run by his nickname, "Caballo Blanco."

True has gone missing, while out for a run earlier this week. This is a man who knows the trails he was using, and though New Mexico is mild by day, it's been below freezing at night.

My thoughts are with True and I'm hoping for a good outcome to this story.


UPDATE: True's body has been found this evening. A sad loss for the running community.

2 comments:

HubbleSpacePaws said...

I'm sorry to hear that a man who inspired you is gone, Meg.

Meg said...

Thanks, Lisa. There have been two high-profile losses in the running world this year so far--him, and a teacher in Montana who was abducted and murdered. She wasn't a famous runner, but her death has created a ripple of awareness on Twitter and in the running blogs I follow.