Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Week of Thankfulness, Day 1

Mom, Dad, what can I say?

In the last few months, I have turned their house upside down. Mom's tiny craft room--with barely enough space for her stuff--now also accommodates my Etsy shop and all that entails. She moved all of her fabric and yarn out of the guest room so I could put my stuff in and make it my Batcave. I get to park my car in the garage, while Dad parks on the driveway. My eBay stuff lines one wall of the garage so I can continue selling. They hauled a piano into my room so I wouldn't have to put it in storage.

Now, they're even putting up with me making a smoothie every day--the noise of the blender and me using up all the spinach. I can afford training right now because I'm living here, instead of paying rent.

Beyond all of this, they've really just let me do my thing. Dad does ask that I make my bed every day and of course it's expected that I help keep the house clean. When Mom has company I clean my bathroom and de-Meg it so that it's ready for guests. Mom and I take turns doing Litter Box Duty and I try to pitch in with unloading the dishwasher from time to time (though often Dad does that before I'm even awake in the morning).

They'd rather I put my food needs on the grocery list than buy things myself, and they are happy that I'm volunteering with the cats and singing in the choir and working out at the gym. They don't pester me with "how's the job hunt going?" questions and therefore I do my best to keep them informed about what I'm doing to procure employment.

I know it's hard for them, changing their life around for me, but they've been happy to do it because they know they're helping me. For that, I'm forever thankful.

P.S. They're both looking WAY slimmer now, thanks to Weight Watchers. I'm
very proud of them!

No comments: