Friday, November 18, 2011

Day Two

This morning, I made my way to the gym by the unholy hour of 8:00 for my first full workout appointment with M. the [To Be Determined]. From now on, we'll meet at a more reasonable hour (10:00) but he wanted to get a workout in this week after yesterday's first appointment.

To begin with, I was sore in the shoulders and triceps from the push-ups and pull-ups from yesterday, and now I know I'm going to be hurting tomorrow (if the difficulty I'm having pulling my pants up this afternoon/evening is any indication). But otherwise, I feel good. He has me doing full-body exercises like a squat-row hybrid. I'm working my body and feeling the burn. M. pays a lot of attention to my form and is also showing me new stretches (I've always been very tight and had a hard time stretching--it's gotten better but I still have work to do). We chatted easily and I told him some of my previous training adventures--like the time I threw up.

When I signed up for the training, the gym manager told me his trainers often make their clients get on the treadmill--and power it themselves. Yep. M. made me do this today. It's actually easier than it sounds, though yes, it is tiring.

What I like most about M. so far is that instead of saying, "You'll do a plank for 1 minute," he has me hold the position as long as I can, with the instruction that if my form starts going to hell, to stop. I held the plank for almost a full minute the first couple of times, but on the third try, my back was starting to bow, so I said so. "Then stop," M. told me. His reasoning: if the muscles I'm exercising are not doing the exercise properly anymore because they're tired, it's best to stop and rest rather than risk injury.

My assignment for this weekend is to run 30 minutes each day, and then I meet with M. again on Monday. I have a feeling the workouts are going to be harder and harder every time I see him.

Bring it on.

Now, if only I could think of a nickname for him.

No comments: