Friday, September 30, 2011

Apple Blueberry Crumble Cake

With Mom and Dad out of town, I've been tasked with eating the food we had on hand. This is great, as it means I don't need to go grocery shopping much, but hard because we have a ton of fruit and vegetables on hand and it's hard for one person to eat them all before they spoil. So tonight I got creative.

I absolutely love Bisquick. It's about the best invention in food ever. Tonight, I used it to make an impromptu Apple Blueberry Crumble Cake (so-called because it crumbled and made a huge mess when I served myself some after baking). I wanted to get a picture of the inside, but again, it was a mess when I cut into it. Still, you can see how lovely it looks on the top:


How I made it:

 I am not a recipe person. Oh, I'll follow them for certain things, but there's nothing I love more than just throwing stuff together and hoping it works. So I didn't measure anything in this recipe.

Step 1: I tossed the apple slices and blueberries we had in the fridge in a mixing bowl, with a teensy drizzle of olive oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.

Step 2: In another bowl, I mixed Bisquick, milk, one egg, and about 1/3 a cup of sugar.

Step 3: I mixed some Bisquick, cinnamon and melted butter in a small bowl to make the crumbly topping.

Step 4: I sprayed a baking dish with Pam, then dumped the fruit in. I layered the batter over the fruit, spreading it around with a rubber spatula, then topped it with the crumbly topping. I baked it for about 40 minutes at 400 degrees.

The Verdict:

In future, I'll use a little bit more sugar. I liked that the batter wasn't overly sweet, but I should have used a bit of sugar in the fruit, as the berries were quite tart. I like tart, but this was a bit much. The spices were perfect, giving it a lovely flavor that complemented the fruit. Overall, it was very tasty, and I'll probably use it for breakfast tomorrow and Sunday.  Will I make it again? Sure, if I have fruit that needs to be used.

No comments: