Monday, March 28, 2011

Celebrating Stockton

So, the city of Stockton was recently listed as the most miserable city in the United States by Forbes Magazine. They base their rankings on several factors, including unemployment rates, foreclosures, sports teams (I don't get that one, either), crime, budget and various other criteria. Apparently, Stockton is just swimming in misery.

Huh?

Okay, I grant you, we have a high crime rate and our share of gang activity. The graffiti in all parts of this city is getting out-of-hand. The school district is faltering with budget and leadership problems. The police force is stretched to the limit. I'm not sure how our sports teams are faring, only because I don't pay attention.

And yes, we have a high rate of unemployment (this is California, people--the whole state has a high unemployment rate!) and a high number of foreclosures (I'll say it again: This is California, people...).

But this post isn't being written to focus on the negative. In a few weeks, Stockton will be having a Celebrate Stockton Day. I won't be able to attend, as it's at the end of my Wild and Absolutely True EPIC Week With Maayan, but I thought I'd join in the fun by posting a few Celebrating Stockton posts here at the LPB.

I'll start tomorrow (or maybe Wednesday--this currently unemployed Stockton resident is going to a Hire Event tomorrow afternoon, and a Chorale rehearsal in the evening) with some pictures I took today on a three-mile walk through my 'hood. It's a nice 'hood. I like it here. I whine about my apartment complex sometimes (though miracle of miracles, I actually had a one-day maintenance response today--HALLELUJAH!) but it's home, and I love my home, warts and all.

I wouldn't be sad to see my upstairs neighbors move out and be replaced with a nice, quiet, single gentleman who is just waiting to meet me and fall in love, but we can't have everything, can we?

Anyway, I plan to post some pictures over the next few weeks to prove that Stockton isn't this miserable hell-hole. It has its problems, and you won't find me in the South-East part of town alone at night, but it's not a bad place to make a life. If I end up staying a while, I won't mind.

No comments: