Monday, August 30, 2010

Save Me, San Francisco

I had two purposes for going to San Francisco today:

  1. I really, really needed to get out of town for a day, and away from the all-too-addictive Internet.
  2. I needed to get some pictures of myself holding a California flag in front of some San Francisco icons.
A gal at the Keane fan forum got a brilliant idea to collect flags from all over the world from Keane fans. She's going to sew them all together and give the finished product to the guys of Keane, along with a scrapbook of the fans with the flag. I asked if I could contribute my state flag, and she said that was an awesome idea--and I appear to be the only California fan who wants to be part of it, so I have my flag, I've signed it, and now I'm just getting pics of it (next up: in front of the state capitol in Sacramento) before I mail it off to Germany.

Anyway, on my way into the city, I pulled off the Bay Bridge onto Treasure Island on a whim, thinking a pic with the San Francisco skyline would be cool.


I took a few pics of the skyline and bay before getting back in my car (it was chilly!) and heading into the city itself.


Once in the city, I began the tedious process of getting across it to the Presidio, a task involving dodging jaywalkers, tourists who shouldn't be driving, and delivery trucks parked in the right-hand lane while someone attempting a left turn is in the left-hand lane.

Along the way, I found myself at many red lights, taking pics through my winshield.

Big hill!!

Finally, I made it to the Presidio and found my way to Crissy Field, where I could get some great Golden Gate Bridge shots, and some views back at the fabulous city skyline.


After this, I ended up in Golden Gate Park (despite planning my route from the Presidio to the park, I managed to get loss TWICE--a special talent of mine--but I did end up making it in one piece).

I had intended to go to the Impressionist exhibit at the deYoung Museum (on loan from the fabulous Musee d'Orsay in Paris) but the museum is closed on Mondays. So I had some miso soup and cookies in the Japanese Tea Garden.


I wanted to beat rush hour traffic out of the city and going through Pleasanton/Livermore on 580, so I left after my small lunch. I am proud to report that for the first time EVER, I did not get lost while finding my way back to the Bay Bridge. GO MEG!!

*ahem*

I got two more shots through the windshield while at stoplights. (Note: I never take pics while the car is moving--always at a stop.)

That's City Hall straight ahead.

It was a lovely afternoon out, and I achieved my goal of beating the stir-crazies and getting my flag pictures.

1 comment:

alana said...

So pretty! I love taking pictures out the window. Most of what I get is junk, but there are a few gems in there.