Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Up and Down, Round and Round

What a weird day.

I woke up this morning feeling UP because it's Pay Day and I had an appointment with G. the Meanie.

Then I was a little DOWN because there was only one $72 deposit in my account from the district. But then I was UP because I found out that because my last day was in May, my check will be available for pickup tomorrow at 8:00 am. Then I was DOWN DOWN DOWN with worry--what if there's no check? So I left a message with the payroll people asking, "Is there actually a check for me? Not just this $72 whatever payment?"

Then I went for a run and felt UP through that and through my butt-kicking appointment with G. the Meanie. Then I was DOWN because next week is our last appointment and I'll miss the little shit. I told him to keep checking in with me from time to time, and he promised he would.

I walked home feeling UP from the adreneline and my super atheletic powers, and because I weighed 1.6 less than last week and G. the Meanie was all kinds of complimentary about how I'm doing an awesome job (pozitiv ree-inforsmentz: I needz dem). Then I was DOWN with a huge tinge of worry because really, what if $72 is all I get this month? I'll have to call 1-800-MOM-NDAD to get my rent and bills paid, which will suck.

Then I was MEH about the low calorie, low-sodium potato soup I bought at Safeway recently. Still prefer my own, made from scratch.

Then I was UP because I got to take a lovely shower and get all the sweat out of my hair and crevices.

Then I was a wee bit DOWN because last night I discovered that my camera was missing. Yikes! I was very, very UP to find that I had, indeed, left it at PetCo on Sunday after taking pictures of the darling baby kitties currently up for adoption. And I continued to be UP at Blockbuster, because I had three movies to trade in for new ones, and I'm finally, finally going to watch "To Kill a Mockingbird." I adore the book but have surprisingly never seen the movie.

Then I came home and felt DOWN because no one from Payroll has called me back and I'm starting to get a little paranoid.

But then my cell phone rang, and it was a lady from a school district in San Jose, wanting me to come in for an interview. It's a K-8 district, and the job is choir/visual arts. I explained how I'm not authorized in visual arts, but basically taught it anyway these last two years.

And frankly, I'll even take training if I need to, and earn an authorization, if they'll hire me and get me away from the BIG DOWNER that I applied for unemployment yesterday and may be washing Mom and Dad's cars and cleaning their house several times this month if I have to borrow money from them to pay rent.

(Here's the most awesome thing about Mom and Dad--they'd help me out in a heartbeat, and they never expect anything in return. Here's the thing about me--I'm almost 32 years old and I don't want to take advantage of them.)

Things, however, are looking UP. I might go on a date tonight with a guy from OKCupid. I weigh 1.6 pounds less than I did a week ago, meaning I'm officially in the 150s. I have a job interview for a position I'd be happy to take. I have a job interview, period. I have three movies to watch over the next few days, and most likely, a paycheck coming to me tomorrow. And if not, I won't be reduced to trolling the street corner to get the rent paid.

Yeah, that's the biggest UP of all.

1 comment:

HubbleSpacePaws said...

Squeeeee!!! Job interview!! For a good job!! Fingers & toes crossed!! And everything else I can think of!! Arms! Legs! Eyes! Oh, nix on the eyes... that hurts!

And solidly in the 150s!! And maybe a date... :-) The ups do appear to be edging out the downs (not that I'm trying, in any way, to make light of those stomach clenching feelings... I know 'em and I hate 'em, too!). Big virtual hug, Meg!

You do realize one of the reasons M&D are so willing to help is BECAUSE they know you won't take advantage, hon! Think of it this way, you'll be someone else's safety net one day.