Saturday, May 29, 2010

Peace

What a week.

Wednesday was the last day I will ever teach at Dead President School, and believe me, I was happy for the day to be over. After school, I pulled my car up to my classroom and loaded my personal belongings (a lot of books, some stuffed animals and framed pictures, and other odds-and-ends) into the trunk and backseat. I said my goodbyes to the kindergarten teachers, who are very sad to see me go. I did not say goodbye to my middle school colleagues, because the gossip and meanness from a couple of them are what helped drive me from this school in the first place.

It was tough saying my goodbyes--I went through a few tissues, and came home with a brutal headache.

Thursday was the last day of school for the kids. I was at Civil Rights Leader School that day, and I helped chaperone an 8th grade field trip to Boomer's, one of those obnoxious miniature golf, go-carts, bumper-boats, batting cages, huge arcade places that are fun for about an hour and then you realize you just spent $25 to play endless SkeeBall and all you got was this over-salted pretzel.

Still, the kids had fun, and I attempted two firsts--the climbing wall (epic fail--I froze about three feet up and thought, "I'm going to FALL AND DIE" so I gave up) and the go-carts, which were a ton of fun, even though I was the granny driver who got passed by one student TWICE. My kids were laughing at my slowness. I just smiled and said, "There is a reason I'm a teacher and not a NASCAR driver."

I didn't get home until 6:00 that evening. Needless to say, I was exhausted, but I still made myself run a mile, and felt better for it.

Yesterday was a teacher day. I stopped at DP school to sign an attendance form and say goodbye to the office ladies. While I was doing this, Mrs. Principal came out. I didn't look at her or speak to her. I just said my goodbyes and left as quickly as I could. I can't even look at her after everything that has happened this year. It's not immaturity, it's simple loathing that one person can get away with so much. So many complaints have been lodged against her, by so many people, and nothing happens.

After this, I went to CRL School to tear some stuff down from my classroom walls and check out. It didn't take me too long, so I spent some time in the middle school pod, chatting with my colleagues there, who have been so supportive this year. We had a school-wide potluck at 11:30, and then it was time for me to go. I cried a little, and received a lot of hugs. I also received a lot of, "You are a good teacher, and you will come back from this."

I had the best of intentions--I got home a little after noon, intending to load up my car, take out the garbage, and go for a good run. Insted, I flopped down on my bed and dozed for an hour. Then I loaded my car, took out the garbage, and headed over to the gym for an appointment with G. the Meanie.

We're down to seeing each other once a week, and because he hasn't been working afternoons much, I hadn't seen him at all since last Friday. We started with some long sprints (150 yards, yikes), which were hard, but definitely got me going again. Then we just did resistance training. By the end of my hour appointment, I felt awake and lively again. Amazing how working out will do that.

We took my measurements. My waist is now five whole inches smaller than it was in February. My bust is six-and-a-half inches smaller. New bras are on the shopping list, for sure.

After my appointment, I loaded Millie and Harley into their carriers and whisked them off to Mom and Dad's house. I had a lovely lie-in this morning and now the most pressing thing I have to do today is drop some books off at the used bookstore and get some new ones to read in all this upcoming free time.

I have an interview with a duck on Thursday--I'm in the exploratory stages of working for the Feathered Guy, but it's definitely worth looking in to--and finally enough time on my hands to really get to the task of applying for jobs. I get two more paychecks from the district--one on Monday and one at the end of June--so this staves off unemployment for a while. A very good thing, because a new pair of running shoes are needed (they need to be replaced every six months and my current pair are getting quite worn from all the running I've done). I can justify this expense, and not, say, a couple nights in a hotel in Monterey because I've got to keep up the running. Not only has it made me lose a ton of weight, it clears my head and makes me feel good. The perfect stress-buster.

I'm at peace today. The really hard part (basically the whole month of May) is behind me, and I feel pretty good about my future.

Doesn't hurt that I have tickets to see Keane in Oakland on July 20th. ; )

1 comment:

HubbleSpacePaws said...

I'm glad the peace has come, hon! A good rest and you'll be ready to rock! You're gonna stay in prayer (believe in it or not) while you start your new adventure, pagan Megan! ;-) Hugs!