Sunday, May 02, 2010

Farmin' It

Yesterday, I went to visit my human and animal friends at A Chance For Bliss. When I arrived, the "older" herd was in the front pasture, waiting for breakfast time. When breakfast is served, they move to the paddock behind the house, which was littered with a lot of horse poop. I offered to get out there with a shovel and a bucket. Scooping cat boxes at home is a stinky business, but horse poop isn't so bad.

Before heading back there, I went to the fence and gave some love to the horses there. Some are more eager for attention than others. I started stroking Big Cloud's face and whispering sweet nothings in his ear. He put his head on my shoulder. I thought about how sweet it is to gain the trust of such a magnificent animal.

Then he jerked his head back and bit me on the boob.

Yes, my boob.

It didn't break the skin or leave a bruise. Hell, it didn't really hurt all that much, except for a quick moment of sting. Still, it shocked me. I shrieked, then admonished the very unrepentant equine: "Hey! That was NOT NICE!" Then I flounced away to get my bucket and shovel.

Well, honestly.

Other than that, it was a lovely visit. I hadn't been in ages, and every time I go, there are new faces in the bunch and old ones that have passed, it seems. Such is life at an animal sanctuary for the unwanted, the elderly, and the forgotten.

I snapped a few pictures, as always. The farm is gorgeous, and the animals are quite photogenic.

Beautiful Buck


Big Cloud, the boob-biter.


Valentine


Hog Heaven


Atlas the miniature horse.


Red and Cuervo


Dusty (left) and Handsome the Ham


This sheep was very sweet and very exuberant. She actually tried to jump on me like a dog.


Casper--still a friendly little dude.

No comments: