Sunday, March 21, 2010

Salad

Two weeks. That's how long I've gone without losing any weight. Humph.

There has been no discussion about muscle weight, and I don't buy into that theory, anyway. The discussion has been more about upping my cardio routine, and giving me strength training exercises to do on my own, when I'm not working with G. I rolled my eyes at his assignments last week, but now I'm over the worst of my PMS, I am seeing the benefits and following his advice.

I'm also eating a lot of salad.

I like salads, but like anyone, I go through phases. This weekend I've eaten so much lettuce, I might grow bunny ears and a cotton tail. Hey, just in time for Easter!

The great thing about salads is that they are very filling--all the fiber from the veggies and fruits make for a very satisfying meal. Here's a couple of salads I have rocked this weekend.

Salad Number 1:

2 cups of a spring greens/spinach mix (according to G., romaine is the least nutrient-filled of the lettuces, except, of course, iceburg).
1 oz. dried cranberries
1 oz. pecans
1 oz. goat cheese
1 small Pink Lady apple
Croutons (I took a piece of Oroweat Double Fiber bread, cut it into squares, sprayed some Pam on it, and baked it for a few minutes. 70 calories, ha!)
Dressing: 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

Salad Number 2:

2 cups lettuce/spinach mix
Approximately 1.5 cups of assorted veggies/fruits: alfalfa sprouts, tomato, avocado, green and red bell pepper, mushroom, cucumber
1 oz. feta cheese
3 oz. chicken breast strips
Homemade croutons
Dressing: a fat-free, sugar-free vinegarette

Both salads are delicious and very filling. There's enough different textures and tastes to keep it exciting.

And for dessert?

Half a cup of fat free Lemon Sorbet (by Haagen Dasz) served over fresh strawberries. Who said eating well is dull?

For me, it's eat, drink and be merry...for tomorrow is Cardio Day with G. the Meanie. God help me.

2 comments:

HubbleSpacePaws said...

OK, I'm writing them down. They look delish! You have inspired me to the point that I'm actually going to take some action.

Tomorrow, 6:30, I start to walk. Got the Jack Lalanne video queued up (I need to start easy - I'm old.... LOL! I figure anything I do is better than what I've been doing, which is nothing!).

The house is pretty free of not-so-good for you stuff and I picked up veggies, fruit, yogurt, etc. (I gotta watch it on the yogurt 'cause I like it as much as ice cream, but it is good for the innards.)

Keep inspiring Meg!!

Britni TheVadgeWig said...

That second one sounds awesome! I love salads. I could eat lettuce and dressing all day.