Friday, March 12, 2010

I'm Melting, I'm Melting!!

At the end of Monday's appointment, I asked G. the Meanie if we could do measurements at the next appointment, so today, out came the tape measure. I was curious to see how much I've shrunk.

The most amazing difference was across, as G. delicately put it, "the widest part of your chest." In my head, I was of course thinking, "Yeah, got it, the biggest part of the Girls." Anyway, if you take into account the fat that has melted off my back, and the tightening of my bust and the muscles underneath it, there is a difference of THREE inches. My stomach was down an inch and a half (God, that belly fat is so hard to lose!) and my legs were only changed by about a quarter of an inch. This, of course, is due to all the leg exercises G. makes me do. They're still on the bigger side, but they're less fat, more muscle.

My body fat is still in the unhealthy category, but I'm eight percentage points (about 20 pounds by G.'s math) away from the "acceptable" category. When I started this whole Oddyssey a year ago, I was probably at about 50% body fat. Grossly obese.

Puts things in perspective.

Today we did free weights. I was having a hard time with some of the new exercises, so G. showed me a couple of stretches for my chest to make them easier.

"Where do you feel the stretch?"

"Hmmm...in my arms."

"Really? Okay, try this." He adjusted my shoulders, pushed my back so I was leaning forward a little, and asked, "Okay, how 'bout now?"

"Still in my arms."

"Huh. Okay, let's try something else." No success. I still felt the stretch in my upper arms and shoulders, but not in my chest. G. just shook his head.

"Geez, I'm having a hard time with your chest today."

*snort* "Dude, I have that problem all the time!"

He so walked into that one.

In a desperate bid to GET AWAY FROM THE TREADMILL FOR GOD'S SAKE!!! I think I might hike Mt. Diablo tomorrow. I've been wanting to conquer that particular devil for a while now, and I feel ready to tackle the seven-mile loop trail and the climb to the summit. It's supposed to be sunny tomorrow, so I'm waiting to see if that is the case (it's raining tonight). In the mean time, I've got some RPattz to ogle on the big screen. I'm off in an hour to see "Remember Me." I'll probably smuggle some Subway into the theater so that I don't go wild and buy something really unhealthy.