Monday, March 22, 2010

Halfway

The last couple of weeks have been discouraging. I climbed a mountain, worked out every day, and ate very well...and I lost exactly ZERO ounces to show for it. G. the Meanie almost seems to take my failure to lose weight personally, so today, we ran.

Two miles.

Non-stop.

No walking allowed, "or you have to do 25 Burpees for every time you stop." Funny, I had just mentioned moments earlier that I loathe Burpees with the fire of a thousand suns.

I knew beforehand that today was a Cardio day. I did my share of whining and over-the-top dramatics. I wrote, "Tell my parents I loved them" in my food journal. G. just looked at me and said, "You know, this isn't fun for me, either. I'm tired."

Somehow, I pulled those two miles out of myself. My legs were screaming, my back hurt, and I was dripping sweat, but I ran (slowly) for a whole two miles without stopping. The bitching was even minimal in the second mile--I was too busy concentrating on my breathing.

After we finished, G. said, "You're such a better runner. You kept up, you didn't stop, and you're recovering so much faster than you used to. You're going to start doing this--no walking. I'm tired of you not losing weight."

"DUDE! I'm tired of me not losing weight--I'm the one who has to carry it all around!"

Later, as I did some hamstring exercises, G. talked about me being a runner.

"See, there's a disconnect up here, G." I said, pointing to my head. "My brain says, 'You're a runner!' but the rest of my body says, 'No you're not. This is hell.'" I told him I'm working on changing this, but it's taking some time.

Then, "You're always telling me I'm an athelete. Well, I still have a hard time believing you. Honestly? I really think of myself as a fat girl who works out." G. just laughed.

"I'm working on that, too."

At the end of our appointment, G. wrote out a whole new cardio program for me to follow. It's not pretty--no more interval training on the treadmill, only running. No more walking. Stairs are going to be harder and harder, too. If I want to lose weight, I've got to move faster.

I was sitting there, pouting a little bit, when I started thinking I'd like to see what I weigh today. I weighed on Friday, so we were going to wait 'til this coming Friday for the next official weigh-in. I mentioned this to G. and he said, "Go weigh, then."

After two weeks stuck at 178, I was hoping to be at 176--my official half-way point in the 90 pounds I must lose to reach my goal weight of 130.

Imagine my surprise and squeal of delight when the scale read 174.6.

I skipped back to G.'s desk and said, "One-seventy-four! Ha!!"

"No! You're lying!"

"Do you want to see for yourself?"

"Yes, I do!"

"Come look, then. And hey! I wouldn't lie about my weight, dude."

A couple of weeks ago, I told G. of my plan to get a picture of myself holding a 45-pound weight just as soon as I reached that milestone in my weight loss. As I mentioned, the goal I set in February 2009 was to lose 90 pounds. Forty-five is the fifty-yard line. I can see the end zone, and I am going to reach it come hell or high water.

I got my camera (it's always in my purse; I'm a nerd like that) and we walked over to the weight machines. G. lifted the weight up and I laughed as I took it from him. How hard it was to hold that thing up long enough for him to get the shot--and I used to carry this much extra weight around on my body. My knees, my ankles...my heart.



I have forty-four pounds to go. I'm going to make it.

1 comment:

HubbleSpacePaws said...

Woohoo!!!!! That's fantastic, Meg! Congratulations!!!! Wow that's got to feel great. So glad you were able to record the big event digitally!

I've mentioned before that your perseverance is inspiring!! It's taken months, but watching you stick to it finally got through to my old brain!

Well, I did start to follow your example today. Ate really healthy at two of three meals today (I ordered Chinese for dinner... it is my vacation, after all... but only ate about half to mitigate the damage) and NO snacking. I actually walked for about 20 min. No goals yet on speed or distance, just want to get started MOVING and establish a routine at this point. Now I realize that's nothing like what you're doing but, hey, baby steps... :-) Maybe one day I'll have a G of my own... LOL!