Friday, March 19, 2010

Fat Girls: Gabourey Sidibe

I haven't done a post about awesome fat girls in a while, and it's about time I show some love to Gabby Sidibe.

I watched Precious a few days ago, and it knocked me off the sofa. It was one of the most difficult movies I've watched in a long time--the level of abuse and suffering Precious suffers is horrifying--but it also had so much hope.

I had a thought early this morning that one of the most brilliant parts of the movie was in how the changes in Precious are so subtle throughout. You hardly notice it, but at the end of the movie, her speaking is clearer and her grammar is better than it was at the beginning. This, of course, is excellent writing, but to pull it off, you need a damned good actress. Gabby was amazing in this role, and she managed to make me--I rarely cry in movies, unless its Forrest Gump, Steel Magnolias, or Up--cry genuine, honest tears.

And in real life? Gabby is delightful. She is vivacious, smart, and has a marvelous sense of comedic timing. She has a rapier-sharp wit and is not afraid to use it. No fluttering of the eyelashes and coy flirtatiousness from this lady. She's a woman after my own heart.







And yeah, she's fat. She's also fabulous. Take that, Hollywood.

1 comment:

HubbleSpacePaws said...

OK, now I gotta reorder my Netflix queue!