Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sunday Review: Hoover Pet Cyclonic

My Sunday Reviews have always been books (and those, few and far between), but today I'm doing things a bit differently. You see, I'm in love.

His name is Herbert, and he shall be my friend. Herbert is a Hoover (get it?) Pet Cyclonic and after burning through two useless Bissells in the last four years, I am happy to have him.

I bought him on Friday. I asked the guy at Sears if this would be a better bet than a Bissell. He just gave me a "well, duh, you stupid girl!" look and said, "Oh, yes. Definitely." So I loaded one in my shopping cart, handed over my Wells Fargo Platinum Check Card, and happily carted my new purchase home.

Friday night was a revelation. With two cats and my own long hair (it's about halfway down my back these days), there's a lot of hair flying around this place. Add little bits of food, dust, loose skin, cat litter, and whatever else gets in the carpet (I probably don't want to think about it too much), and you've got a lot of vacuuming needs. Fortunately, I like vacuuming. I am aware that this makes me strange and quirky, but there you have it. I enjoy vacuuming. Keeping my apartment clean makes me feel in control of my world. Vacuuming is satisfying.

I was bound to love Herbert before I even plugged him in. He has one of those awesome retractable cords--just push a button and WHOOSH! The cord goes back in. He's bagless, has attachments, and is easy to put together.

And he really, really sucks. In the best possible way that a vacuum cleaner can.

I started off in my living room. It takes up approximately 120-140 of the 750 square feet of my apartment. I moved the couch to get in all the nooks and crannies, and used the attachment (which, on my old Bissell, barely had any suction) on the baseboards and in corners. By the time I was ready to move on to the 2nd bedroom, the canister was HALF FULL of hair and debris--stuff that the old Bissell, now sitting in the nearest dumpster, had left behind.

Disgusting! And so very, very satisfying.

The real test, however, was the 2nd bedroom. This room is where I keep the litter boxes. Harley and Millie are very good about using their boxes, but they do track litter everywhere. The last few times I used the Bissell in there, I noticed with dismay that it sent up a huge cloud of cat litter dust. I never felt like that room was truly clean, and therefore have pretty much stopped using it for anything other than storing my library, piano, scrapbooking stuff, and the litter boxes. Now I can go back in there and sit, not fearing that I'll form a lump of cat litter clay on my lungs. Because Herbert ROCKED in there. No clouds, no flying dust. Just the satisfying crunch of cat litter getting suctioned up out of the carpet.

Marvelous.



Yep, I'm in love. Oh, and he was under $200. So if you're in the market for a new vacuum cleaner, get yourself to Sears.

No comments: