Monday, February 08, 2010

I Needn't Have Worried

Well, another 3.2 pounds of Megan are gone with the treadmill. Weighed in at 186.8 today. While I was still processing the number in my head, I heard a soft, "Yessss!" from behind me and figured, well, if he's happy...

I, too, am very happy. I made it through interval training today (the same routine that made me barf on Friday) without any upchuck urges, and though I was exhausted at the end, there was a huge sense of pride in knowing that I had made it, without G.'s hand on my back, bulldozing me along through the hard parts.

It's like my body is melting away. I'm feeling so many differences. Muscles that weren't there before are becoming more visible. My clavicles and elbows no longer hide under layers of fat. I'm quite sure I could cause injury with my bony elbows now. All of the working out I do is making my hair and nails healthier. Normally at this time of year, my nails are brittle and breaking all over the place, but right now they are strong and looking quite lovely (though a little stained in a couple spots from the curry I made yesterday). My skin looks better--more glowy, less acne-prone. I went to the bathroom after my run today and my face was quite red, but there's also a definite glow that has nothing to do with the sweat pouring from my forehead.

A sweater and a sweater dress, both bought in December and found to be a wee bit too tight, fit just fine now. I'm going to wear the dress to work tomorrow. Pretty soon, I'll be off to Old Navy for size 12 jeans. In the mean time, I have to buy new bras, as the two I've been using for the last few months are too big, even on their tightest setting.

I joke that I've become a total gymbo (gym bimbo), because the hottie manager of the club now greets me by name (I'm bringing in a lot of money!) and all of the employees there, if they don't know my name, at least recognize me as a frequent flyer. Hell, I spent $200 on proper running shoes and inserts in January. Every once in a while, G. still peers at my shoes and says, "Those are some GREAT shoes," much like I would drool over a hand-made Buffet clarinet and say, "That's an AWESOME clarinet."

The biggest difference of all, of course, is my posture. I stand taller--well, as tall as a lady of 5'2" can stand--and carry myself with more confidence. My body is becoming a fit, healthy, fighting machine. And I feel great.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I think it's absolutely marvelous and wish only that we were on the same coast so we could be gymbos together again. Isn't it the most amazing feeling when you notice your body changing and becoming stronger? PICTURES!!!

Meg said...

I do need to get pictures! At the moment I'm in my pajamas, with a towel wrapped turban-style around my wet hair. No makeup. So, no pics tonight!