Sunday, January 24, 2010

Painting

A couple of weeks ago, I did a unit on painting with my kids at one of my schools.

Yes, that's right. A music teacher teaching painting techniques. You can imagine how that went. It was messy, and I learned the hard way that you have to tell the kids beforehand that mixing all the paints into one big shit-colored blob on the palette is NOT okay.

And there is a TON of prep time. I put fresh butcher paper on the tables every morning, and had to constantly wash palettes and brushes. We went through a lot of tempera paint (fortunately, it's inexpensive).




But it wasn't all bad. Some of my kids just half-assed their way through it, but some gave me some awesome paintings. The ones pictured below are going to be displayed at Stockton's Haggin Museum, in the 79th Annual Robert T. McKee Student Art Contest and Exhibition.










I've saved the best for last. This student came to my school in December. The kids were finishing a costume design project, so I handed her a piece of paper and told her to do what she could, using a body form to trace, etc. She didn't even trace. She just knocked out TWO designs in one class period, both beautiful. Obviously, she's quite artistic. Her painting blew me away.

No comments: