Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Glasses

"Guys never make passes at girls who wear glasses."

This is, apparently, not true, but it didn't stop me, six years ago, from getting contact lenses. For me, though, the decision to get contacts wasn't as much about vanity as it was about not going crazy. I had only worn glasses full-time for a year, and already, I was sick of them constantly sliding down my nose (always fun when in the middle of a squat, with weights on my shoulders). They were constantly dirty because I never remembered to clean them. I had those awful, cheesy clip-on sunglasses for driving. Years of being able to push my sunglasses up on my head resulted in a lot of pain when I tried it with glasses--the nose grips would get caught in my hair.

Contacts enabled me to function normally again. Cute, cheap sunglasses were back in my life. My peripheral vision was once again reliable. I took to my lenses like a duck to water, and I've never looked back. Once in a while I wear the glasses to work, if I need to, but most days, it is simply easiest to wear my contacts.

As I've gotten into my 30s and my tastes in what is "sexy" have changed, so has my outlook on glasses. The right frames on the right face can be quite attractive, and even downright hot.

No one is doubting that Tina Fey is gorgeous:



And Jennifer Garner is lovely, too:



Buddy Holly was rockin' this look long before it was cool:



And Johnny Depp could wear just about anything and pull it off, so why not glasses?



And, of course, I can't leave out two men who pull off glasses beautifully, Richard and Tim of Keane:







That picture of Richard reading the paper gets me every time. Because even sexier than any glasses on any man, is a man with a BRAIN.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I did a chicks in glasses post, but I'm loving the dudes in glasses! I got hit on in my glasses more than I ever did without them.

I'm FINALLY replacing them when I get back. I'm getting the same frames I had before, but in red instead of black. They're gonna be hot!

Kristine said...

I wear contacts for the same reasons. I can see better with them! Once I was picking my frames instead of my mom (oi, were the early ones ugly!), I really didn't mind the glasses. Except for the loss of the peripheral vision. And constantly being dirty. LOL