Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Day in the Life

I can't make this stuff up. This is how my day progressed. Some times are approximate, but close enough.

5:15 am Awake. What the hell? ...Oh, nice. Yeah, thanks, neighbor. I really wanted to hear that new CD you've got in the car in the wee hours of the morning and OH BY THE WAY I HAVE TO GET UP IN AN HOUR!

6:00 Generic AT&T ringtone. Hit snooze.

6:15 Generic AT&T ringtone. Hit snooze.

6:25 Generic AT&T ringtone. Hit snooze.

6:30 Generic AT&T ringtone. Hit snooze. Oh, wait. Time to get up.

6:35 Blearily drag myself to the bathroom, using the cell phone LCD screen as a flashlight in the dark. Take care of business with Millie doing figure eights around my ankles and Harley sitting on the shelf across from the toilet purring like, well, a Harley.

6:40 Turn computer on.

7:01 Comment on really stupid comment by a Jez reader about bullying. "The problem is the bullying," I write. "Victim-blaming never works."

7:03 Crap. I really need to get moving.

7:05 Turn off computer, throw breakfast dishes in dishwasher.

7:19 Dressed, some make-up on, and I have deodorant. I'm running a wee bit late, standing in the living room thinking, "I forgot something...eh, well, too late now."

7:25 Halfway to work, I suddenly realize why everything is so blurry. It's not the morning fog, it's the fact that I forgot to put my contacts in.

7:30 Arrive at work. Realize that while I can see well enough in natural light, those classroom flourescents give me a run for my money...and the beginnings of a headache.

7:50 1st period starts. Uneventful.

8:50 Have delivered first period kids back to their homeroom teacher. I meander up to the office to let the secretary know that I have to run home during my prep to put my contacts in. She laughs at me.

9:05 Pull into a parking spot near my apartment.

9:05:30 Oh. My. God. MEGAN!!! Realize that when I grabbed my wallet, cell phone and car keys, I forgot to grab the "Scrapbook Queen" lanyard that has--yup--my house key.

9:07 Walk into manager's office. Sheepishly explain my predicament. She gives me a key and tells me to bring it right back when I'm done. All I can do is laugh at myself.

9:10 Contacts are in. Hurrah, I can see! Walk back to office, then to car.

9:20 Arrive back at school. Pick up 3rd period kids. That class and 4th period after it are uneventful.

11:30 Guess what else I forgot today? Lunch. Drive to Subway. Ogle three motorcycle cops in front of me in the line.

12:00 Arrive back at school (Subway was BUSY). Have 15 minutes to scarf down sandwich before kinders come for music.

12:15 First kinder class arrives. Show them a gong and some cymbals and play some Chinese New Year music for them.

1:30 Last kinder class leaves. Put instruments away, gather personal belongings, and head out to car.

1:45 Arrive at my other school sight for a staff inservice. It's not required, but everyone has to get 18 hours of professional development a year and I need to pick some hours up.

3:30 Staff development is done. Dash to car. Drive straight to gym. While merging onto Highway 4, I notice a van coming up in the slow lane. I will have to merge in front of him. Speed up as much as I can to prevent him from slamming on his breaks. This isn't good enough for the asshole, and he proceeds to force me over to the shoulder so that I can't merge in front of him as I should have.

3:31 Merge in behind dumbass in the van in front of me. Give him the finger.

3:45 Arrive at gym. Head straight for women's locker room. The bench I normally use (because I'm a dork and I like to use locker number 88 whenever possible) is completely covered by another lady's stuff. Lady herself is sitting on a second bench, hogging that one. Of five benches, she's got a monopoly on two. I give her a dirty look and find myself at locker 57. Because I'm actually sort of insane, I do a quick calculation (5+7=12) to determine that 57 is divisible by 3, and therefore, NOT a prime number. I hate prime numbers. See? I'm insane.

4:00 Stairmaster! YAY! /sarcasm

4:10 Work with styrofoam roller and do some stretches.

4:20 Treadmill! YAY!! /sarcasm

4:50 Two miles: DONE. Megan: GOING HOME.

5:00 Having picked up mail (two DVDs from Blockbuster, a Yankee Candle catalogue, Newsweek, and a postcard from London, sent by blogger friend Sara), I let myself into my apartment--this time with my actual key, on the "Scrapbooking Queen" lanyard.

6:30 Have spoken to Mom and Dad on the phone, had dinner. Reading Comments of the Day on Jez. OMG! I'm sort of a bestie! My response to dumbass commenter who blames victims for getting bullied has been quoted as a good response to a "worstie" comment. I've received a few shout-outs in the comments section for being a badass commenter. Awesome!

6:45 Jump back in the car and drive to St. John's for a choir rehearsal. Five nights of singing this week.

9:15 Arrive home. Exhausted. Decide to blog, have a quick snack, and get to bed by 11:00...because tomorrow is another crazy day.

10:22 Finish blogging, think it might be a good idea to affix a Post-It Note on my bathroom mirror. One that says, "DON'T FORGET YOUR CONTACTS!"

4 comments:

Unknown said...

But... Did you write it big enough that you can read it without your contacts?

Meg said...

Oh, I can see within about 3 feet, so it's all good.

Sa said...

Meg that is so funny. Thanks for the early laughs!

alana said...

"Ogle three motorcycle cops" lol! It's those dang boots. The get me every time.