Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Decade in Music: 2003

Ahhh, 2003. This was the year I finally got out of the US again (a Spring Break trip to Rome) and discovered non-American pop music, like Junior Senior. I still love "Move Your Feet" and "Can I Get-Get-Get." Fabulous.

On the American front, things remained pretty much as they were in 2002. Justin Timberlake took over, while JC Chasez had one hit and then fizzled out. I never understood that, because I always thought that JC's lead vocals in N*Sync were much better than Justin's nasally whine.

Anyway, Pop Royal Couple Justin and Britni broke up that year. We all cried a river.



Especially when we heard this song.

For once, I found myself liking Christina Aguilera. I still thought her singing was a wee bit over-ornamented, but the song and message behind "Beautiful" was, well, beautiful.



Other songs I loved in 2003:

Hey Ya -- Outkast (even my Mormon sister-in-law liked this. I didn't have the heart to tell her what some of the lyrics meant)
Landslide -- Dixie Chicks
Where Is The Love? -- Blacked-Eyed Peas featuring Justin Timberlake
If You're Not the One -- Daniel Bedingfield
Clocks -- Coldplay (my first brush with this British band.)
Bring Me To Life -- Evanescence (how my tastes have improved!)
The Remedy -- Jason Mraz
Swing, Swing -- All-American Rejects
Calling All Angels -- Train
Blowing Me Up (With Her Love) -- JC Chasez (so much better than JT's stuff)

Songs I loathed in 2003:

In Da Club -- 50 Cent (though I did love "In The Tub" by Bert and Ernie, which my local radio station obligingly played one morning.)
Stacy's Mom -- Fountains of Wayne (what the hell kind of stupid band name is that, anyway?)
Picture -- Sheryl Crow and Kid Rock (such an unlikely pairing, and not a very good song)
Don't Know Why -- Norah Jones (her voice reminded me of a girl named Jen I knew in high school who was very cruel to lots of people)
Milkshake -- Kelis (Ugh...just, ugh.)
Your Body is a Wonderland -- John Mayer


Forgotten Gem Turd of 2003

I couldn't decide then. Love it or hate it? I guess I didn't really love it, 'cause I'd forgotten about it 'til I found it on a list just now.



Now that I've listened to it again...Ugh! That is some shouty, unhealthy singing.

2 comments:

Miz Minka said...

Not only do I also loathe Your Body is a Wonderland, I loathe John Mayer's "voice." BLECHHHHHHH.

alana said...

Have you heard this cover of Hey Ya? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-8nkkOA_AM

It's amazing.