Sunday, October 18, 2009

How I Really Feel

Just a few things I've been thinking about.

Balloon Boy

It was a hoax! Color me surprised! Yes, that is total sarcasm.

I was not one of the millions gathered around a TV or my computer monitor while the nationed prayed for the safety of six-year-old Falcon Heene, who everyone believed was on a wild balloon ride over Colorado. When I'm at work, I don't hear anything about what's going on in the wider world. Unless there is a terrorist attack, it's not going to interrupt teaching time.

That said, I came home to find out that there had been this huge drama all day, and, thankfully, the little boy was safe (just who names their child Falcon, anyway? People--stop giving your kids "unique" names. It's not cool, it's not clever, it's DUMB and MEAN.).

Anyway, the more I've read about this family, the more I want to pound my head against my desk until I bleed. What is wrong with America that we have such blatant, narcissistic fame-whores? Why are we still glued to the crazy reality TV shows like "Wife Swap" and its ilk? It's voyeuristic and gross.

I do watch America's Next Top Model--but that's a little bit different. The women in the show are actually trying to make a career out of modelling. Yes, there are moments of absurdity and immaturity (think about it--the contestants are all 25 and younger), but they are not whoring out their children for 15 minutes of fame. Which leads me to...

The Gosselins

Christ on a cracker. I have never watched one episode of John and Kate Plus 8, or whatever they are calling it these days. I have never given one good goddamn about these people or their sextuplets and twins. But I cannot even begin to escape them. They are EVERYWHERE. And John is an ASS.

Kate isn't much better. Look, I know that raising 8 children has got to be expensive. But sticking said children in front of a camera, and then proceeding to have the ugliest, most public divorce since Eminem and Kim Mathers has got to be the most damaging thing ever for these children.

And watching Daddy take all the money so he can entertain a parade of women who think he's their ticket to God-knows-what has to be really, really good for them, too.

Can someone PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!

This guy says he is.

Yeah, right. My foot.

So a white JOP in Louisiana denies an interracial couple a marriage license because he thinks their future kids will suffer?

News flash, dude: It's 2009, not 1959.

And denying this couple a marriage license is not necessarily going to prevent them from having kids, anyway.

GAH.

And that's enough griping for now.

No comments: