Thursday, August 27, 2009

Yo Mama

Today, I called Dad after school, to let him know that I was hanging out at Big O tires, getting my left front checked out. It looked a little low a few days ago, so I figured it best to have the pros look at it--the tires are only a few months old, and under warranty.

Anyway, we chatted for a few minutes, and then I asked if he'd heard from Mom today.

Mom left on Sunday for a week-long retreat with some ladies from the Lincoln Hills Needle Arts Group. For those who don't know, my parents live in a Del Webb community for people 55 and older. They love it. Dad is president of the Veteran's Affairs Group, and Mom is very active in Needle Arts (particularly the quilting branch).

Anyway, Mom and some other ladies are at Lake Tahoe, and every conversation I've had with her this week has been filled with all the fun she's having. They do "Show and Tell" when projects are finished, and have a lot of fun and laughs.

Back to Dad--I asked if he'd talked to Mom and he said, "Yeah, and she said something really out of character."

"What's that?"

"Well, she...oh, I'll let her tell you."

"DAD! Don't leave me hanging like this!"

"Nah, she should tell you. It's her story."

"Is it good or bad?"

"I'll let you be the judge of that."

"Grr! Dad!!"

Shortly after this exchange, we said our "I-love-you-goodbyes" and I immediately called Mom on her cell.

"WHAT DID YOU DO?!"

Mom just laughed and said,

...are you ready for this?

Are you sure?

Okay, she said,

"I went parasailing this morning!"

"WHAT?! OHMIGOD!!!"

"I actually went parasailing!"

"PICTURES, LADY, OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!" I was shouting and laughing into the phone, standing outside Big O Tires.

Mom isn't a parasailing type, really (if there is a type for these things). But yesterday, her friend Plain Jane, who lives by the motto, "All problems can be fixed with feathers," walked into the sewing room and said, "Who wants to go parasailing with me tomorrow?"

I'll just insert here that Jane is 84. Mom is 63.

The ladies all thought she was joking, but, oh, no. Jane was serious. So they signed up, and this morning, a group of ladies took turns parasailing. Apparently it's awesome, and yes, there are pictures. Which I will get my hands on, and I will post them here at the LPB.

My mom rocks!

4 comments:

RvNGrammy said...

Your Mom sure does rock! Sounds like fun. Maybe when the budgets are working, we can take a group up to Tahoe and do a copy-cat! I'd love to go parasailing!

Miz Minka said...

Awesome. This just proves that you're never too old to have fun!

alana said...

Your mom sounds awesome!

The Not-so-Spotless Mind said...

WOW! YOUR MAM IS A LEGEND!