Sunday, August 16, 2009

Wondering

I just came across the following headline:

Teen's death 3rd homicide in one week.

Normally I don't read the death-and-mayhem articles posted in the "Stockton, CA" column on my Google News feed. But something made me click on the link.

Turns out, the homicide occured around an intersection I drive through almost every morning on my way to work--because it is one tiny block away from one of my school sites. I may very well know this kid. We have 15-year-old 8th graders...or he could have been at my school last year.

The name hasn't been released yet.

How sad is it that my first thought was, "Oh shit--what if he's one of mine?"

Whether he is or not, it's tragic.

4 comments:

alana said...

One day, while my teacher did his daily shtick of skimming over the news with us seniors, I found out my friend had been brutally attacked and murdered not ten miles from the very classroom I was sitting in. To say it was shocking and surreal doesn’t really do the horror I felt justice.

I really hope it’s not one of your kids. Too bad it will always be someone’s kid though.

Meg said...

Oh, Alana--that is terrible. I am sure it still horrifies all these years later.

It was NOT one of my kids--and for that, I am thankful. But yes, it is someone's kid, and it is still very much a tragedy.

And a somber reminder that my kids live surrounded by drugs, gangs and violence, even if they are not involved in it all.

Kristine said...

And another drive-by last night. Yuck Megan! That's really scary, and so sad for those hurt. I hope they catch the people responsible.

Don't feel guilty - who wishes it was their kid?

What a start to the week, huh? Do the kids at school know much about it, or are they too young?

Meg said...

They know. Apparently the deceased has a cousin in the 6th grade at my school, and other kids knew him from the neighborhood.

P.S. Not all of Stockton is like this. I live in quite a nice part...despite the noisy neighbors.