Thursday, August 20, 2009

...And Another Thing...

The gym has a few new cardio machines. They're sort of a hybrid of the elliptical, a treadmill and the stair-climber. I saw them today and thought, "Oooohh...must try." I climbed on the only available one, next to a lady who is quite in shape. She had the toned tummy, the ripped arms and legs--the whole package.

She was commenting to the guy next to her how hard this machine was. I piped up, "Oh, is it?" She laughed and said, "I've had to stop three or four times, and I've only been on it for about 6 minutes." In my head, I thought, "Huh. Well, I'm still gonna try."

I set the machine for five minutes, and set the resistance level to 5, figuring only beginners can get away with a level 1.

I did a full five minutes of full-on running. It was hard work--a better workout, I daresay, than the treadmill, and the elliptical--but I didn't have to stop. My calves were working hard, and my body was glistening with sweat after about two minutes. But I was fine. No stopping.

I did a five-minute cool down using the stair-step motion and continued to feel really good.

The whole point of this story, of course, is that I totally kicked that skinny girl's ass. ;)

1 comment: