Saturday, January 17, 2009

Gung Hay Fat Choy!

One of my favorite lessons to do when teaching K-8 music is Chinese New Year. This year, it falls on January 26, so I'm starting the lessons for it ahead of time.

On Thursday, I dragged a box of stuff I had at home to school and got some red bulletin board paper from the staff room. Then I started decorating.








I printed various Chinese characters that I found on the Internet, and made a sample "scroll" using red construction paper (red is the color of luck in China).


I had my kids make their own scrolls, then mounted them on black construction paper so I could display them. I'm not finished hanging them up yet (and didn't feel like staying after school on Friday to do it!).


That's just one class' worth of scrolls. I'll have a lot more when I see my other two classes next week.

Next week we will make paper lanterns, dragon puppets, and lucky red envelopes. Good times!

No comments: