Sunday, December 28, 2008

Thinking Pink

In 2003 or 2004 (Whoa! Can't remember!), Mom and I participated in the Sacramento Race for the Cure for Susan G. Komen. We are not runners by any stretch of the imagination, but we laced up our walking shoes and walked the entire course, surrounded by so much positivity, it was amazing.

All around us were women wearing the pink shirts of survival. Some had heads full of hair; others, a few whispy strands growing back. All of them wore smiles. The atmosphere was merry--a definite vibe of, "We can beat this!" Whole families walked the course, with babies and toddlers in strollers or being pulled along in wagons.

Because of time and other issues, I haven't had a chance to do the Race for the Cure since then, but this year, I resolve to change it. So far, I can only find to California races this year: Los Angeles and Sacramento. The Sacramento one is scheduled for May 9, and I hope to be there, walking the course.

I would love to have friends, colleagues and family join me, so if you (and a friend!) want to do it, let me know. Registration is not open yet, but I hope to put together a team. I guarantee you won't be sorry you did.

No comments: