Sunday, November 09, 2008

Things To Do

I love museums.

I'm one of those people who enjoys every minute of time spent in a good museum. I love history, I love art. Bring it on!

This Saturday, I'm going to the de Young to see their Yves Saint Laurent exhibition. I just bought a ticket, thinking that it should be a great exhibit, and a day out in San Francisco is never a bad thing! While I'm there I'll get an ocean fix. What can I say? The Pacific calls to me.

I'm also looking forward to going to Stockton's Haggin Museum soon--any place that has paintings by Renoir is a friend to me! I might stop by on my way home from work some time. I'm on their email list to get up-to-date information about special events.

If you, dear reader, are interested in cultural events, I've got a few Stockton Chorale concerts coming up in December. On the 5th, we will be singing Part 1 of Handel's Messiah, and, of course, the Hallelujah Chorus. On the 14th, we will join forces with the Stockton Symphony for a Holiday Pops concert. Both concerts should be great performances.

Before we know it, Christmas will be here. I'm particularly excited this year because I am free of Decembers spent supervising snotty teenagers as they sing carols at the local Wal-Mart. I don't know how many hours I spent on carol gigs in December '06 and '07, but I can tell you it was too many...especially with the general lack of gratitude I received from my charges. Even a free trip to Disneyland (the director pay for her hotel room and bus ride? Are you kidding? I didn't want to take 30+ teenagers to Anaheim in the first place, but if I'd cancelled, it would have been Mutiny in the Choir Room), it was so not worth all the hours of Christmas cheer I missed out on. Because believe me, nothing says "Bah Humbug" like babysitting some of the rudest teenagers on the planet.

But, as I said, that is over. I couldn't be happier. I have actual time to decorate, listen to my favorite Christmas songs on iTunes, and bake. I will drink copious ammounts hot tea (not worrying that in a few hours I'll be in some stranger's home with my kids, needing the loo desperately). I'm positively shaking with anticipation!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! We saw the Yves Saint Laurent exhibit this weekend. It was great. You'll love it. Definitely go on the docent tour if you can tho.

Meg said...

I'm looking forward to it. Especially getting an ocean fix afterwards! I don't care how cold it is, I want to hear the waves.