Saturday, May 17, 2008

Good Vibrations

If you are the praying kind, please pray for me. If you're more into finger-crossing, could you cross your fingers, toes, and eyes? If you're into karma or good vibes, send a few my way, if you could.

Why?

Well, a week-and-a-half ago, I interviewed for a K-8 music position in a pretty little town very near where Mom and Dad live. I had vibes from the very start that it would be a good placement for me.

On Wednesday morning, I spoke to the music teacher who was on the interview panel and she told me I had made the top three candidates. They wanted to see all three of us teach, so Friday morning found me at her school, teaching a group of third graders about the instruments of the orchestra. I think I did okay...I just don't know what they're looking for.

But here's the thing--I was having a blast teaching those kids. I knew going in that this was her more difficult third grade class (I observed her a week ago), so I was ready. Unlike one of the other candidates that I got to watch, I didn't have to refer to my lesson plan notes once during the lesson. I had the kids singing and playing a game that required them to sing about the different instruments and see pictures of them.

And did you notice that I had a blast? I really did. In my current gig, I'm constantly looking at the clock during class time. Is it over yet? Is it time? I lost track of time during this third grade class, until the teacher said, "Actually, it's time for them to go back now." I was having fun teaching. I was dealing with the squirly kids, and I was loving the sweet kids, and I was having FUN.

I want this job. I really, really want this job. It's exactly what I want to do. I would have a couple of small bands, a choir, and I would work with all of the classes at the assigned school. It would inspire my creativity...and once again, I would be getting paid to sing Six Little Ducks and such--just as I once marvelled at in my first teaching job.

So please, could you send some prayers and vibes my way?

No comments: