Thursday, January 31, 2008

Oy Vey

What a day!

First off, it was great to be back with my kids. My classes seemed happy to see me, and they were very sympathetic about my grandma. It was a busy day, and I'm behind on a few things after being out for three straight days, but I felt pretty good.

However.

At the end of fourth period today, one of my kids passed out. We (some students, a parent volunteer and I) got her on the floor before she passed out, with a sweater under her head. I called the office and campus security hurried to my room.

Before long, we realized that she just wasn't responsive enough for our comfort. Her mom was there by then, so the decision was made to call an ambulance.

I'm always impressed by EMTs and the firefighters. They are so good at what they do, and so kind to the people they are helping. They tested my student's blood sugar. Keep in mind that normal blood sugar is between 80 and 120. Her level was 21. Yikes!

She was taken from my classroom on a gurney to the local emergency room. Poor little thing. She's one of the sweetest girls in my advanced group, and I hope she's okay.

No comments: