Friday, August 31, 2007

Tribute to a Lost Friend

Close to three years ago, as I sat in England missing my sweet Millie, I befriended the cats of Kathy and Derek's household. In particular, Lucifer, the most un-devlish kitty you could find.

Lucifer was a stocky-but-gorgeous speciman of a cat. Born to a barn cat, Lucifer spent some time being raised by chickens (or at least curling up under them for the warmth). He meowed like a girl, snored when he slept, purred when I stroked his head, and flirted shamelessly with me. My buddy "Luce Goose" quickly became my favorite animal in the house. When I left England, I jokingly threatened to kidnap him and smuggle him back to the United States.

Lucifer died on Tuesday, after problems with his thyroid became more than his body could handle. I haven't seen dear old Luce in two years, but the loss is felt keenly, nonetheless.

Rest in peace, Lucifer, you sweet boy.



No comments: