Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Someone Has To Bring Home The Tuna...

That's what I tell Millie most mornings as I hurry out the door to work.

(And yes, I talk to my cat. Who doesn't?)

I have some wierd sort of guilt at leaving her home by herself all day. It's just that she gives me those sad eyes and meows piteously when she sees me going for my coat and purse. Or she hides under the bed. I like to imagine the conversation we would have if she spoke English or I spoke Meow:

"Mah-ommmmm!!! You always leave!!"

"Millie, sweetie, I have to work."

"Every day?"

"Almost. Look, Saturday, I'm all yours."

"No you're not. You'll be cleaning and grocery shopping."

"Well, at least I won't be gone all day."

"I don't want you to go!! I wanna cuddle!!"

"I want to stay and cuddle with you, Millikins. And drink tea and read my book. But someone has to bring home the tuna, and you don't have a social security number."

We have this conversation pretty much every morning, and more and more, I'm feeling the guilt of leaving my very social little girl alone while I am gone. More and more it is making me consider getting her a kitten. Yikes.

Of course, every day, I get home and she's all over me. While I hang up my coat and change from work clothes to my "comfies," she follows me around the apartment, making chirping noises and head-butting me at every possible opportunity. Then we have to have our little "toot," which finds Millie tearing around the apartment, getting into things, digging her claws into the comforter on my bed...you get the picture. It's like, "Mom's home! Par-tay!!!"

Anyway, I bring all of this up in my blog because yesterday I got home and found a nice little mess, courtesy of one Millennium Joy. Imagine coming home from work and a Target run in dire need of the loo...to find that unravelling the toilet paper is going to be a chore:



Yep, someone has to bring home the tuna, and the Feline Greenies...and more toilet paper.

No comments: