Sunday, July 30, 2006

High School Reunion

Okay, so it's been 10 years since I made that happy walk in a blue cap and gown to receive my high school diploma. Since then, I have fallen out of touch with every single friend I had in high school, until this year, when I found a few on MySpace and started corresponding with them again.

It has been great to chat with these friends again, and to get together with Katie and Leslie a couple of times (in fact, I look forward to seeing them again). Other than that, however, I have no wish to re-live high school. It was fun, it was nice, but it's finished, and I'm over it!

Of course, when 2006 rolled around, I started wondering whether my class would have a 10-year reunion. Images of a nice hotel ballroom, with the FHS Class of '96, sipping wine, nibbling canapes, and showing off spouses, baby pictures and well-used passports danced through my head. What would I wear? Probably a great little dress or some such thing.

Oh, no. Not for my class! Their idea of a good time at the 10-year reunion is as follows:

Friday, August 11th: There is an all-school reunion taking place on Sutter Street (Folsom's historic little Gold Rush-era street). Anyone from Class of '96 can meet up in the Sutter Club. Just so you all know, the Folsom Telegraph used to publish a police log, and there have been many, many bar fights and disturbances at the Sutter Club. Nice.

But hey, there's always the party that is especially for the Class of '96, right?

Saturday, August 12th: Strike one: That's my birthday, and I'd rather spend it with people I actually want to see. Then, I get the invite to our reunion. No hotels, no sipping wine and wearing killer dresses. No, no, no. Not for my class. We're having a barbecue. In a park.

Okay, so how terrible is that? Let me tell you:

1. The cost: Pay thirty bucks to show up at the park. Bring your own meat, and a dish for everyone to share (and your own alcohol). What's the $30 going for? To pay for using the park and a bouncy house for the kids. No, I'm not kidding. A bouncy house. I don't have kids, and I'm sure as hell not using the bouncy house myself--I have no desire to pay for it. Besides, it's a park! It has a playground, for heaven's sake!

2. The park itself: The latest annoucement (just got it today, and it's what drove me to blog about the whole thing in the first place) states that the park is "under a bit of construction, so we will be resigned to use port-a-potties. I know, not glamorous, but oh well!" I am not paying $30 for a bouncy house, and I am certainly not paying $30 only to have to use a port-a-potty!

3. The people: Did I already mention that I don't really want to see most of these people anyway?

Is it any surprise that as of last week, the coordinator had only received "a very few" checks for people wanting to come?

No comments: