Thursday, May 25, 2006

Blow Dry? No Fly.

I figured the sad update about Barbaro needed to be scrolled down...Speaking of Barbaro, he's looking good, though there is, of course, still worry about infection and other ailments. Still, his fighting spirit is showing, and it's lovely to read the positive updates about this magnificent horse.

So what's up in my world? Let's see...

Powerless

But when you feel so powerless
What are you gonna do?
So say what you want.

Nelly Furtado, Powerless


Last week, Dad received a letter from Puget Power, stating that parts of PL would be under a planned power outtage on the 25th (today). The letter specifically stated, "between the hours of 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM."

We all got up early this mornign to ensure that we were showered and fed before the planned outtage. I spent some time on the computer, making up some work for my kids for tomorrow. At 8:15, I went into my bathroom to do my makeup and blow dry my hair. I had swiped the eyeliner across my right eye one time when.

*Poof!*

Out went the power.

Me: "HEY!! I THOUGHT THEY SAID NINE O'CLOCK!!!"

Dad: "They did."

Dad got on the cell phone and called Puget Power. He asked why our power was out. He was told, "Oh, this is part of a planned power outtage, so we can put up a new pole."

"Yes, I'm aware of that, but they said 9:00. It's 8:15...tell me, do your guys on the line wear watches?"

Needless to say, we weren't happy Puget Power customers. After the February fiasco that left us without power for three days, can you blame us?

Fortunately, it's back on now (which is why I'm blogging in the first place).

Megan and the Wild and True, Absolutely Hectic, Crazy Day

I don't know who had the bright idea to schedule the sixth grade Canadian Trading Post (more on that in a bit), the assembly for student government elections, and the choir concert all on the same day, but so it is.

I set off for school at about 8:45 (with soggy head and makeup that had been applied in a dark, windowless bathroom). When I got there, I spent about an hour poking around the Trading Post. Then, the rest of my time at school looked like this:

10:28-10:58 4th period (choir)
11:00-11:30 Lunch
11:30-12:08 Assembly
12:08-12:28 4th period (choir)--so the kids could vote.

Crazy? Yes, yes it was.

So What is This "Canadian Trading Post," Anyway?

The 6th grade curriculum for WA has the kids learning about Central and South America and Canada in social studies. In the fall, the 6th grade students had a "marcado" (Market Day), in which they set up stalls and sold products and foods of Central and South America. I missed that one, and so I was determined to see what they did for Trading Post.

They've been learning about Canada a lot these last few months (hence the field trip to Victoria), and today, they sold items relating to Canada. Some kids brought in hot plates and made bannock bread. Some kids sold homemade shortbread cookies. There was smoked salmon, crafts, and a few enterprising kids brought their band instruments and took requests for songs.

Everyone uses fake money to "buy" different products. One of the sixth grade teachers shoved a large handful of $10 bills at me when I got there so I could buy, as well. The kids themselves all have a chance to leave their booths to shop, and the money they have is money they've earned through good behavior in their classes.

It was a lot of fun, even if it did induce some big-time sugar highs in the kids later.

Okay, Here It Comes:

The official announcement: I have a job!!

I interviewed for a high school choir position in Antioch, CA on Friday. Fifteen minutes into the interview, the principal says, "Wow. You sound like the person I want to hire."

She decided to check my references, and she called to offer me the position on Tuesday.

It is really a plum job: full-time high school choir, in a large school (3,500 total enrollment). The job is not a "fixer-upper," but rather, taking over for an established program (after St. Peter's and the current gig, I really need this!). There is a HUGE Visual and Performing Arts department, complete with art, drama, stagecraft, dance, band, orchestra and choral music.

So it looks like I'll be the choir teacher at Deer Valley High School in Antioch, CA.

And yes, I am excited. This is a big step for me, and I am ready to take it.

New Digs Coming Soon!

So it looks like I'll be living in Antioch. I'm
told it's a nice community, and I am now starting to research apartments. The best news is that I'm not too far away from Sacramento and my friends (50-60 miles), and I'm perfect distance from San Francisco, my 2nd-favorite city on the planet.

I could probably catch the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) in a nearby community and take that straight into San Francisco when the urge strikes.

A Whale of a Tale

We're going whale watching on Saturday! There's a tour out of Port Townsend that leaves at 9:00 in the morning. We'll go out looking for orcas, with a stop in the San Juan Islands at Friday Harbor. We'll get back to PT at 5:00. It should be a great day out, and the parents and I are really looking forward to it.

White Shoes

I can finally wear my white shoes without questioning myself as of Monday. Yes, folks, it is Memorial Day, in case you'd forgotten. A three-day weekend! I can hardly wait. Add to this that half of my choir will be on a field trip next Wednesday...you've got a happy girl.

781 Miles of Girl Talk

Mom and Dad are leaving WA a day or two before me to return to California. I have a contract to finish up on June 16, so I'll stay and drive down that weekend. They're going to take all three cats with them.

There's a possibility that Ms. Heather might fly to Seattle, meet up with me for a diva-fun evening in that lovely city, and make the drive to California with me so I have company. I'm hoping this happens, because really, we'd need about 800 miles to catch up on all the news properly (email is good, but there is nothing like face-to-face). I figure 781 miles (according to Google maps) is a good start.

Don't You Do Re Me, Kid!

I have to sign off now. My choir has a concert tonight, and I need to get dolled up. Put on my war paint (at least I have light now!) and wrestle some pantyhose on. Tomorrow I have an all-day sub gig, but then, it's all about the three-day weekend...

Cheers!

Meg

No comments: