Saturday, March 04, 2006

Day Tripper

...with tired, tired feet.

Spent a lovely sunny day in Seattle. The last few times I've been to that fabulous city, it's been cloudy and/or rainy. So having some sunshine was wonderful.

I parked my car at Bainbridge Island, as usual, and walked onto the ferry. Of course, I had to get some skyline pics:

This one is kind of cool because of the wave heading towards the ferry.

I could see Mt. Ranier today, and got some cool pics of that, as well. For those who don't know, Mt. Ranier is south of Seattle.

I've never gone up on the sun deck of a ferry (why, I don't know, just haven't bothered, I guess). Today I did and got some great views...and very wind-blown!



All-American Ferry:


The Elliott Bay:


Port of Seattle (and Mt. Ranier):


Pulling in to the Ferry Dock:


Now it was time to set foot in Seattle and have some fun. I went first to Pioneer Square to look around. Right away I found an antique mall and I found some fantastic treasures there (Snoopy, of course). I only spent $25 but I got a vase and a bank I have been looking for, and some old Snoopy pencils (still in package). Yay!

After this, I made my way to Elliott Bay Book Company. I ended up buying a book called "Lucy," about FDR's mistress, and pristine used copies of Bridget Jones' Diary and Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason. Along the way to the book store I snapped a few pics.

Chief Seattle:


2nd Avenue through Pioneer Square:


Elliott Bay Book Company sign:


Pioneer Square isn't all that much, unless you're keen to do the Seattle Underground Tour (I'm not). So I reversed direction and walked up 2nd avenue (literally, as it is an uphill trek) towards downtown. Because it was beautiful and sunny, I decided a trip to the Space Needle was in order. The only time I'd been up was on an overcast day.

I figured I'd catch a bus, and so the first time I saw a bus stop, I checked out the routes. The route I wanted runs along 3rd avenue, so I hiked one block up the hill and started looking for bus stops. I walked, and I looked. Walked some more, looked some more. No bus stops.

Finally figured that I might as well walk my butt all the way to the Space Needle. So that's what I did. It's a long walk.

But the sun was shining and there were lots of people about, so I made the long trek to the Seattle Center.

I took this pic from the bottom, along with a pic of the Experience Music Project. Bought my ticket, got in line for the elevator, and up, up and away! The Observation Deck is 520 feet in the air. I'm not fond of heights, but I refuse to let my fear of them make me miss out on such experiences.





Downtown from 520 feet:


Lake Union (East of Downtown):


Downtown and Elliott Bay:

No comments: