Sunday, February 26, 2006

Sunday Headlines

The latest news brought to you by Meg of the Little Pink Blog

Harry Potter Set Pics!

I got really excited when I saw this on Google but it turns out the two set pics from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix are just of the frame of Hagrid's hut--which we've seen before.

Still, it's worth a mention, as I'm sure people will get more pics as time goes on. So here's the link.

These People Want a Civil War

Nothing the U.S. does seems able to stop it. When stuff like this is happening, where does the U.S. play in? How? Should we really be focussing so much effort on a country that seems to want violence and mayhem?

Jurassic Beaver!

It's always interesting to hear about new discoveries, especially when they pertain to what inhabited this earth before us. It's pretty exciting that scientists are finding some of the missing puzzle pieces.

Expect This to be Big

South Dakota is going to be in the news for a while, I suspect. Actually, I hope. Whatever your thoughts on abortion, this is something we all should keep an eye on.

The measure would ban abortion if a woman was pregnant as a result of rape or incest, or if giving birth would damage the health of the mother. It would allow an abortion to save a woman's life.


In other words, if I lived in South Dakota, and going through with a pregnancy might very well kill me, fine, have an abortion. But if it might damage my health, "Sorry, sweetheart, just live with it." Okay...where do women who suddenly need chemotherapy treatments fall into this?

And if I had a 15-year-old girl who was raped and impregnated, I can't allow her to have an abortion?

I am not a proponent of abortion when it is used irresponsibly. Could I have one myself? Only if my health depended on it, and let me tell you, it would still be traumatic. But I strongly feel that taking away a woman's right to choose is a step backwards in women's rights. What's next, no more birth control pill? That's what scares me.

And I'm Still Using CDs

I am the most technologically stupid person around. Before I left for England, I had a cell phone straight out of the Jurassic period (I'm sure that beaver must have had something just like it). I lived in mobile-mad England for a year and no one could ever understand why I didn't have a mobile of my own (money issues, people).

Now in WA, I finally have an up-to-date cell phone with bells and whistles. It does not have a camera (I have a perfectly good digital, thank you), but I did once check my email on it (I prefer the computer--it's faster).

Anyway, the point is, I'm slow to embrace new technology. Which is why I don't have an iPod, or use iTunes. Yet. I'm sure I'll come around eventually.

The big news this week is that iTunes has reported their one billionth sale. Pretty impressive. I think the biggest draw for me would be buying only the songs you want, not a whole CD of mediocre tunes so you can have that one catchy song you love. I've done that a lot lately (Gwen Stefani, Natasha Bedingfield...).

Cool! When Do We Get One?

A female leader, that is.

Hell, I'll be happy to find a good male prez, as long as he's...good.

But congratulations to Portia Simpson Miller, first woman leader of Jamaica.

Awww...

Aliya the beluga whale can blow bubbles! How cute.

Fun little video.

Disgusting!

I simply typed "Robbie Williams" into Google News Search. This is what I get: A cannibal wants to murder and eat Rob.

So disturbing--especially because his first victim was willing to let this guy...oh, you'll just have to read it for yourself. And Rob, hire extra security.

*shudder*

Book Review

After a near-flirt encounter last weekend, which I stupidly messed up, I decided I need to take matters into my own hands. Yesterday I found Superflirt by Tracey Cox, and it is fabulous so far. All kinds of tips about body language--both reading it and giving it. It's witty, funny, and true-to-life. This woman knows her stuff.

My favorite part is when she explains that men are biologically attracted to bigger butts. Woohoo!!!

Speaking of Butts...

It's time to think about getting mine in the shower. I have a NASCAR race to watch, and potato soup to cook. And a house to straighten up--Mom and Dad are coming home tomorrow evening.

Cheers!

No comments: