Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Stuff

I have a lot of it.

When I graduated from Chico in 2001, I moved home with Mom and Dad, and ended up staying there for three years. In this time I went from having a storage unit for all of my furniture, to gradually getting rid of it and keeping a bunch of boxes in Mom and Dad's garage. And there they stayed until Mom and Dad moved to Washington. They boxed up all of my things in the house (I bought a lot of Snoopy stuff in those three years) and things got mixed up.

Monday, I finally got to sorting and weeding. I spent much of the day hauling every box out of the storage room, and started going through each one. It was a big job, and when I stopped late in the evening, I was exhausted--and not finished.

Yesterday I subbed all day, so there was no way I'd get to those boxes, which were stacked in mad piles all over Mom's craft room. Today, however, I was feeling up to getting in there and getting it done. I'm almost finished now, after about 5 hours of work. I just have a few things to wrap up tomorrow, then I have the fun job of loading all the stuff I hauled down to the garage into my car and taking it to charity, used bookstores, etc.

I discovered something today.

I have an amazing Snoopy collection. It's easy to forget when some of it's been packed away for a few years, or when I've been galavanting around England for a year. But I have mugs, glasses, posters, books (galore), toys, figurines, plush toys, lunch boxes, candy boxes, holiday decorations (I could have a 6-foot Christmas tree and decorate it entirely in Snoopy), kitchen stuff, bathroom stuff, bedding, pillows...the list goes on and on.

A lot of my collection actually goes back many years--the vast majority of the mugs, books and plush toys are remnants of my childhood. Some belonged to Aaron, and he graciously let me have them when we got older.

But then, a lot of this stuff comes from Ebay, antique stores and the like. I've banned myself from Ebay because of this. I have a harder time resisting antique stores, though. I've found some great things--for example, the jars I bought last week.

One of these days, when I have my own place, I'm going to devote my office to displaying most of my collection. I'm also going to sit down and make a list of my collection, and approximate values.

And, yeah, I'll keep on adding to it. I can't help it--Snoopy just makes me smile!

Cheers,

Meg

No comments: