Saturday, December 17, 2005

The Meaning of Christmas

I was reading an article about people trying to start a boycott of WalMart because its main theme in winter advertising this year is "Home for the Holidays"--no mention of Christmas.

Sigh.

People, people, people...

So some good, God-fearin' Christian protests by doing the following:

Dick Otterstad of the Church of the Divide donned a Santa Claus costume and greeted shoppers with the message: Don't forget about the meaning of Christmas.
Yes, Dickie. The real meaning of Christmas is the fat guy in a red suit. I thought it was Jesus, but what do I know?

Methinks that if you have enough time to stand outside WalMart in a Santa suit, trying to work up a boycott against it because its commercials don't say, "Merry Christmas," you need to get a new hobby.

By the way, my own personal semi-boycott of WalMart has nothing to with whether or not it celebrates Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanzaaa, Solstice, New Years, or nothing at all. I avoid WalMart as much as possible because they cram way too much crap into way too little space, and navigating the aisles is a nightmare.

I always thought the expression "Happy Holidays" was inclusive of all beliefs, not exclusive of Christmas. And since when do we celebrate only one holiday at this time of year?

Final note--I can't believe I didn't notice this right away--this took place in Sacramento, California! Who would've guessed?

No comments: