Monday, July 25, 2005

Three Thousand, Four Hundred, Seventy-Two Calories

I must have walked off at least that much this weekend!

The answer to a bad mood is exercise. Most definitely. I was reminded of that at the Sixth Form Ball, when I danced the night away and completely forgot that I'd had a horribly stressful day leading up to it.

So when I woke up Saturday feeling, well, a bit emotionally unstable, I decided to combat it by taking a walk. So I walked, walked, walked and enjoyed a lovely Burnham day. There was a regatta at the Royal Corinthian Yacht Club this weekend, so I sat on the quay and watched people sail. I wandered through town and chatted for a moment with a friend who lives on the High Street (who, I think, was doing border collie doo-doo dooty in his front yard, but I was too polite to ask).

That evening I went to Burnham's teensy little cinema, the Rio, to see Batman Begins. I strongly recommend it. I have loved Christian Bale since that cheesy Disney movie, Newsies, which came out when I was 13 or 14. Let me tell ya, 13 years has not diminished my joy in his lovely, pouty, lips. And his body has gotten...well, the word "yowza" comes to mind. Let's just say he doesn't look so bad without the rubber suit.

Yesterday I woke up to rain, rain and more rain. Not wanting my spirits to match the weather, I got up and did some more walking. Yes, in the rain. I put on my waterproof jacket, grabbed the World's Wimpiest Umbrella and set out for the Cabin Dairy Tea Rooms.

The Cabin Dairy is a local institution, and how many times have I managed to eat there? Twice. Once with Mom and Dad, and yesterday. I had a bacon and cream cheese bagel with a side of mushrooms and a pot of tea. I figure I got my quota of cholesterol for the week. Lovely!

After my late breakfast, I wandered along the quay again, taking pictures of the Crouch in rainy conditions. There were still sailing races going on, so I watched for a bit under the protection of my umbrella.

At a loss for things to do, I spent an hour reading "Notes from a Small Island" and drinknig Coke at the Railway pub, then saw an afternoon showing of The Pacifier.

All in all, it was a lovely day, even though I was pretty much soaked from the knees down the whole afternoon. Had an emotional chat with Mom and Dad on the phone in the afternoon. They understand that I am really excited to see them, but that leaving is difficult. Mom recalled leaving Omaha (where I was born) and standing on a neighbor's doorstep returing the cleaning implements, bawling her eyes out.

Change is, let's face it, just as scary as it is exciting.

In other news, can I just say that the Lord of the Rings films are amazing? I finally got around to seeing them. Kathy and I started "The Fellowship of the Ring) Thursday night and finished it Friday. I watched "The Two Towers" on Saturday afternoon before heading down the road to see Batman. Last night, Kathy, Derek and I watched the extended edition DVD of "The Return of the King."

The special effects are fantastic. And to answer the most important question....

Aragorn, most definitely. Legolas is cute, but Aragorn is...excuse me, I need some cool air on my face.

Today is Monday, my last full day working at St. Peter's. I'll be coming in a few days after school lets out because I have to finish up some letters I'm writing on behalf of my year 12s, take a few things off the walls (a calendar and some papers that belong to me) and get things tidied up. I am not going to leave this room as I found it. It was a pigsty then. I will leave behind a proper music room.

A year 8 gave me a card this morning. She drew Snoopy and Woodstock on the front and wrote the following inside:

"Dear Miss Cooper,

Music is a big part of my life, and always at school we get rubbish supply teachers or no teacher whatsoever!

This year has been the first year that we have actually had a proper music teacher, as devoted as you are.

At the beginning of the year only one or two people in this year cared about music, but you have changed that and so many more people love music now. Thank you for that. I'm really sad you're leaving, and I dread to think who will take our class next year!

Good luck in Washington! (I think that's where you're going!)

I hope I see you again!

Love from,

Charlee L (8QMu1)!!!"

Very sweet. The thing about teachers is that most of us go into the profession because we want to make an impact. You don't always realize just how much impact you've had. Sometimes it's years and years before you know, and sometimes you never do. So we take these little bits and savor them, knowing that there is purpose and meaning in what we do. At least this teacher does. It is good to know I have made some difference in someone's life.

And with that, it's almost breaktime. I have no more lessons today, and only one tomorrow. I must go have some tea and a chat with Donna, then get back to my computer for some job-hunting.

Cheers,

Meg

1 comment:

Heather said...

LOL - Fine, you can have Aragorn then. Leaves more Legolas for me. That dark, smokey look just doesn't do it for me. Maybe I was an elf in a former life.. :-)