Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Small Victories (2nd Update today)

...and they're not only in my dreams.

Sorry for that, I'm listening to my LaunchCast radio station I've made, and Debbie Gibson's "Only in My Dreams" came on. I haven't heard this song since about 4th grade, when my friend Katie was a huge fan. She even owned a hat just like the one Debbie wore in her videos. I remember falling out with Katie in 6th grade and selling my Debbie Gibson tape (which she had given me) at a garage sale. I can't say I've had a lot of regrets about that.

Anyway, the song came on and I had a listen for nostalgia's sake. Her voice sounds so childish!

Now, the small victories:

I had duty this morning at break time. All year, when I've been on break duty in the canteen, I have struggled to keep the kids from leaving the canteen and walking across the front of the school. I've had all kinds of headaches and abuse from kids over this. Today, one of the last times I have to stand duty in there, I noticed something quite good. Three year 9 boys, some of the more "difficult" of the lot, approached me. I simply said, "Sorry guys, can't go this way. Gotta go around." Now, mind you, in November, one of these very kids called me a "f***ing yob." I was bracing myself for trouble this morning. At the very least, an argument.

He simply shrugged, turned around, and went the way I had told him to go.

A little while later, more kids started heading for the door. They didn't even ask. They took one look at me standing there and turned around to go the other way.

HA!

I have left my mark.

No comments: