Friday, June 03, 2005

The Emerald Isle

Well, for a quickie trip, I feel I got to see and do quite a bit. Guinness included.

A drink precedes a story. --Irish Proverb

We left on Tuesday afternoon, from Stanstead Airport. The flight was uneventful and blessedly short (one hour as opposed to my other most recent flight--10 hours). We were among the last to board, and Ryanair is self-seating, so we ended up scattered. There were three of us, Jo, the Irish gal, Sandra, the Essex Girl, and Meg, the American.

When we arrived at Kerry Airport, Sandra and I were amazed at how tiny it is. If you think Sacramento Airport is tiny, well, it dwarfs Kerry. One baggage carousel, tiny waiting room, one teensy little shop. In the arrivals area, Angela (Jo's mom) was waiting for us. Jo was so excited to see her, and as they hugged I had a little pang and thought, "I want to see my mum and daddy..."

I quickly perked up, though, on the ride back to their home.

Jo grew up near a tiny village called Glenbeigh. It is in County Kerry, along what is known as the Ring of Kerry, a road that circles the county and its gorgeous coastline.

It was a bit cloudy, but it doesn't diminish the beauty of the area.

View from Jo's house:


Angela cooked spaghetti for dinner and put a fire in the fireplace, as it was getting rather chilly. They use peat! Having never seen a peat fire, I took a picture:


We stayed in that evening so Jo and Angela could catch up. We drank tea and ate biscuits and it was lovely and relaxing.

He who gets a name for early rising can stay in bed until midday. --Irish Proverb

We had originally planned to bum around on the beach while in Kerry, but a) it was raining and b) Angela had an appointment on Wednesday in Cork, so she offred to drive us there so we could shop and look around.

Cork is Ireland's third-largest city, behind Dublin and who knows. We had to get up early to get there in time for Angela's appointment, so we had a nice full day to browse the shops and take a few pictures.

Funny T-shirt:

I had to get pictures of some of the signs, as they are in both Irish and English.


May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.
--Irish Blessing

We drove back to Glenbeigh, but before heading back to the house, Angela drove us to the beach nearby. Though it was raining, Sandra and I had to get some pictures.


There are mountains nearby and we drove up a large hill to see where Jo was born and lived as a baby. Driving back down, the views are astounding:


We decided to relax a bit and have some dinner before doing the very necessary Irish tradition: Hitting the pub for a drink.

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!
--Irish Drinking Toast

That evening we went to Ashe's in Glenbeigh, to meet a couple of old school friends of Jo's. While she caught up with them, Sandra and I played tourist. This is the church across the street:


...and the pub itself.


May you live to be a hundred years,
With one extra year to repent!

--Irish Blessing

Guinness sign:

We all know that Guinness is a huge Irish tradition. You might also be aware of the fact that I am not a beer-drinker.

Six years ago, in London, I had a taste of someone's Guinness, and when I later found the description "tar with foam on top" in a book, I was finally able to put words to my feelings on the taste.

But I have heard that Guinness tastes better in Ireland, so I determined to try it. So I bought a half pint of the stuff.


As you can see, I'm not really enjoying it...it does taste better in Ireland, but it's still an ale, and therefore...not my thing.

But, I am all about acquiring life experiences, and I can now say, "I have drunk Guinness in an Irish pub."

Finally, a pic of Sandra, myself and Jo (from left to right):

May you live as long as you want,
And never want as long as you live.

--Irish Blessing

Thursday we had a bit of a lie-in before heading off to spend a few hours in Killarney. As we left, Sandra and I both expressed a wish to take a picture of Jo and Angela at their home:

It was all-out raining, but we got a bit of last-minute souvenir shopping done. I bought myself an inexpensive Belleek vase (famous Irish china) and loads of postcards and a few magnets. My favorite is the one that says, "Pog ma thon," Irish for "Kiss my ass." Very cute. Too bad I can't display it in my classroom.

Before long, it was time to head back to Kerry Airport. I took a few pictures there, as well.

Before I knew it, we were on the plane (window seat for me this time!) and on our way back to England. I got a couple of last-minute photos of the patchwork of green that is Ireland:

A hen is heavy when carried far. --Irish Proverb

And so is a backpack. I didn't overpack, and I didn't buy a lot of stuff in Ireland, but that backpack got heavy after 3 hours of train travel to get back to Burnham from Stanstead. I got home at 10:00 last night!

May the roof above us never fall in.
And may the friends gathered below it never fall out.

--Irish Blessing

So, yes, I had a lovely time in Ireland. Would love to go back someday and see Connemara and Limerick and Dublin and County Clare, but for now, I'll be content with my quick excursion to County Kerry. I had a lovely time with Jo and Sandra, and Angela was as welcoming and hospitable as the Irish are reputed to be. Perhaps one day I'll welcome them to Seattle.

And now I'll sign off, go to the co-op, and then go home to rest, as I am getting a cold. So, more updates on Monday, when I'm back to work. Until then...

May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
And rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.

--Irish Blessing

Cheers!

Meg

No comments: