Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Just When You Thought I Could Not Get More Random

I Just Dropped an Almond Down My Sweater

8:50 a.m.


I'm not kidding. Thank God there are no kids in my room.

Lately I've been bringing a small container of nuts and chocolate chips to work for my snack. According to Dr. Gillian McKeith, author of "You Are What You Eat," nuts and seeds are very good for us. It's a good fat. The chocolate chips aren't so good for me, but they add a little bit of a kick to the trail mix. And they keep me happy.

Anyway, I'm just munching some of my mix and I lost my grip on an almond. It flew up, hit my chest and slid down into my sweater. I have to laugh at myself.

Again, thank God there are no kids in my room.

Bad-Tempered (but Talented) Music Teacher

10:25 a.m.


I'm teaching my year 7s and 8s about pitch this week. We have to discuss words such as range, octave, high, low, etc. So how does one demonstrate these things?

One sings.

So there I was, fifteen minutes into 2nd lesson, singing "The Star-Spangled Banner" to a rapt group of year 7s, when I realize that I left my classroom door open. There's a year 11 and a year 12 (both girls I don't know very well but who have annoyed me in the past) listening, and poking their head in my room to shout out when I'm finished, therefore interrupting my lesson.

I had a bit of a yell at them and the scampered off.

I do love singing that to my kids, though...they love it. It shows off my voice and is fun and challenging to sing. The kids get a kick out of hearing me sing. I think that a lot of Essex Mums never sang to their children...

Oh, Lord...My Feet HURT!!!

12:48 p.m.


Normally these shoes don't hurt my feet but today...yeeee-ouch!!

They're the cutest shoes, though. Two-inch heels, almost square-toed, with an ankle strap that somehow managaes to streamline my ankles rather than make them look like elephant ankles.

I'm also wearing a black skirt with purple flowers on it and a black sweater. Hair in a ponytail with a butterfly clipped on to it.

I suppose if the year 7s were behaving worse, my feet wouldn't hurt. I'll take tired feet over a full day of big whiny babies any time.

I guess it's the singing. Third lesson was abnormally quiet for a change just because I sang. I could market something here...want good behavior in your classroom? Sing to them. Oh, a nice enough voice and years of voice training do come in handy.

What Part of "Draw a String Instrument" Do They Not Understand?!?

1:14 p.m.


"Right class, when you finish the worksheets on the string family, please write down these music vocabulary words, then you will get a blank piece of paper. On this I want you to draw the string instruments OR write a poem about them."

A lot of little boys drew cars.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that 11-year-old boys cannot hear anything beyond "car," "sweets," and "time for lunch."

Ahh, the Sweet Sound of...Nothing.

3:20 p.m.


My classroom is empty. The school is clearing out. The bell has gone and so have the kids. I have peace and quiet again!

And achy feet. Which means that soon I will be on my merry way home to put them up.

After all, I got here at 7:00 this morning. I ought to leave by 4:00. That sounds fair.

All for today. Slow news day, I'm afraid. Though those are not always a bad thing! Hopefully I'll have more to talk about soon.

Cheers,

Meg

3:37 p.m.

No comments: