Sunday, September 19, 2004

I really should try to update more than once a week...

But I'm so tired in the evenings and so busy by day!!

All is well on this side of the Pond. School is, of course very busy. Had a few school-related adventures this week:

1. Training for teachers new to England. St. Peter's hired a taxi to take three of us to Chelmsford (30 minutes away) for a training specifically geared for teachers new to England. Awesome, right? Eh, not really. It all started its downward spiral when I found out I'd be there until 7:00 in my evening. I sort of jealously guard my down time. Then, as we piled into the taxi, I found I'd be accompanied by Liam (of the Emeral Isle) and Hannah (of Nigeria). Liam, who means well but is a bit of an oaf, promptly asked Hannah which tribe she was a member of. Oy vey. Meanwhile, the American teacher was getting a massive headache because the taxi smelled of heavy perfume and stale cigarette smoke. Not a good combination.

I wish I could say the training was good, but it was mostly classroom management stuff. I spent a year of my life in California learning classroom management. Apparently, the Irish teachers who come to England are usually shocked by the behaviour of English children. In Ireland, they are very well-managed at the schools. I find that English children are no better or worse than their American counterparts, so management is not an issue for me. But the Irish teachers do struggle. Meanwhile, I go to trainings and sit there, bored to tears and thinking longingly of being at home, in my comfies, checking email.

The evening wasn't a total lost cause, however. I got to flirt with a very cute Australian and a very cute Irishman (NOT Liam of St. Peter's High School).

2. The actual teaching part of things. That's going well. I like the kids. There is a group of year 9 boys (8th grade--13 years old) who make everyone's life a living hell, but fortunately, they are in different music classes. Well, a few of them are in 2nd period on Wednesday. They are lost causes, really. They will not listen, and some teachers (myself included) almost want them to come up and hit us so we can just send them out of school. It's not fair to other children when these clowns ruin the classroom atmosphere.

The children of St. Peters are very unfortunately disillusioned about music class, thanks to my predecessor. What a waste of space! I hate to say anything bad about other teachers, but this man was useless. For example, I have taken on a GCSE class of year 11s (16 years old). Great kids. Extremely willing to learn. They started this GCSE course last year. They have to take it after school, two days a week, because of scheduling conflicts. They WANT to be there. They WANT to learn. And they are a year behind where they should be. The good news, however, is that Mr. Fraser ordered plenty of white board markers. He just forgot to teach music.

Things will be different this year.

Overall, the job (complaints aside) is good. I did a great activity this week, using instruments, and the kids seemed to have a lot of fun with it. They're used to music being all worksheets, all the time. Who learns music by doing worksheets??? I hope to show these kids that music can and will be an exciting, fun, worthwhile class this year. It's like fighting a battle uphill, but I have my full body armour on!!

3. Observations. Our deputy head (think vice principal) came in to my room to formally observe me on Friday morning. He was there about a half hour. He missed the disorder that started the hour, that I quickly got under control. He witnessed a great (if I do say so myself!) lesson that engaged the kids and left little room for misbehaviour. Kids having fun learning music? Almost unheard of at that school last year.

Anyway, Gary was impressed. He told me later that I have excellent classroom management skills, and he is not worried about me in that area. Very nice! But the best is yet to come. At lunch, as I braved the school canteen to buy something to eat, I saw one of the assistant heads, Alison. She smiled and said, "Hello, Megan...I hear you had a great lesson this morning!" Then, after school, I ran into Mr. Head himself, David. He said, "Megan, I hear you had a great lesson this morning!"

Seeing the pattern? : )

I'm glad I'm impressing the Senior Management Team. I think they are happy they hired the American gal to teach music. I'm certainly happy they hired me!

So that was my week at school. It is always busy and hectic, but I think most of the kids like me well enough so far. As I tell them, I'm not a mean teacher. I am strict, and I have high expectations. But I am not mean.

Let's see, how 'bout my life outside of school?

I went to London yesterday. Oh, London! Every time I am there, I am reminded of why I love it so.

This trip was to meet two gals from a message board I post at for fans of Kevin Spacey. I met Josie and Sue in Leicester Square and we spent a great day. We went to Greenwhich so I could get the cheesy picture of myself with a foot on each side of the Prime Meridian. We explored the South Bank and paid a visit to the theatre that Kevin is artistic director of (the Old Vic). I bought a ticket to see him live on stage next March. That is going to be awesome.

We also went to the Imperial War Museum. Very good museum. Lots of interesting things. A great D-Day exhibit. I did not see the Holocaust part. Now I want to go back and spend a good half day (at least) looking around. We only had about an hour.

All in all, it was great to meet Josie and Sue. They are really nice gals, and I hope to meet up with them again one of these days.

Yay!

Kathy (my landlady) just handed me a package that must have come in the mail yesterday, as today is Sunday. It was hidden behind a flower pot on the front step. Inside is a bunch of mail forwarded by my parents. And some film for my camera. And the nicest pic of Ma and Pa Cooper from their recent Alaskan cruise. Very cute! It's nice to get mail from home (hint hint!!).

If you don't have my address...email me and I'll give it to you. I will send mail, too. I haven't been great about it thus far, but as I settle in to life in Burnham and my job at St. Peter's, I will find more and more time.

I guess I'll close. It's a very long post.

I should really try to update more often!!

Cheers (and cyber-hugs),

Meg

No comments: