Thursday, August 05, 2004

Now I wait

Wait, wait, wait.

I hate waiting!!!

As stated in my last post, my work permit arrived via Fed Ex on Tuesday morning. Tuesday afternoon I sat down and started filing online for my entry visa. I got through the whole long process, aswering questions like "parents full names?" and "expected income in Britain?" and "How many pimples do you currently have?" (okay, that last one...they didn't ask).

Then, finally, I was finished. I read the instructions carefully. "Print out your application and send it in with your original work permit, original (not copy) passport, proof of citizenship, letter of leave from your job, bank statements for the last three months, eye of newt, hair of witch, 6 oz. of soil from your backyard and a sample of your own DNA (please, no spit)."

I completely freaked out. Eye of newt? Witch hair? Easy. I've read the Harry Potter series. But some of the other things they were asking for...what the hell do they mean by "letter of leave?" I completely left my former job!

Grrrrr.

I decided the only course of action was to print out my completed application, pluck a few hairs for that DNA sample, and dig my passport out. But wait--the application would not print. It just would not print. The computer, I'm sure, stuck it's tongue out at me. I could hear the motherboard laughing at me.

So I printed a blank application, made a long list of questions to ask the Consulate when I called them, fought back the tears of frustration, and had a bath.

Wednesday morning I called the Consulate office in LA first thing. Turns out I only need to send in my passport and work permit. No need to send in a hand-filled application, as I'd already filed online. Well, at this point, I'd already hand-filled the whole application, so I sent that too. I dragged myself to Mailboxes Etc. and sent the whole lot of it out, in an overnight Fed Ex.

It is now out of my hands. : ) I did my part, now I wait.

Did I mention I hate waiting?

*sigh*

No comments: