Saturday, August 28, 2004

Like Visiting an OId Friend...

I went to London today.

It was supposed to be for a TeachLondon orientation but frankly, I didn't want to go to that. So I did the "Megan's Classic London Nostalgia Tour" and enjoyed every minute of my time there. I'm sure the Londoners were a bit scared of me, as I couldn't wipe the grin off my face the entire time.

I started by taking the Tube from the train station to Chancery Lane, and heading down Gray's Inn Road to my old flat. 47 Gray's Inn Road, #6. From there I walked to the school building, finding, to my HUGE delight, that the small stationary/magazine/sandwhich/everything else shop I used to frequent is still there! Of course I went inside. From the school, I walked to Tottenham Court Road, where it intersects with Oxford Street. I took Tottenham Court to Charring Cross and walked that all the way to Leicester Square, an old haunt that is great for people watching (and movie premieres).

Near Leicester (pronounced Lester) Square is the National Portrait Gallery. I got there at opening and spent 45 minutes looking for my favorites--the portraits of Elizabeth I and the beautiful statue of Albert and Victoria.

Around the corner from the NPG, I bought a ticket for a London Bus tour and proceeded to spend the next few hours happily riding in the open-topped double decker bus, paying my respects to Big Ben, the Tower, etc.

I ended my day with a trip to Kings Cross Station, just to get a picture of that infamous little "Platform 9 and 3/4" sign. Wonderful!

I only got 2 hours of sleep last night but I did not feel tired at all--until I was on the return trip to Burnham. London was wonderful, and I fell in love with it all over again.

No comments: